Specs

Core i5 3570
8gb ram ddr3 1600mhz
Toshiba q pro SSD
Toshiba HDD 500gb
GTX 970 wind force g1
Corsair rm750 (new as a gift)
Antec h20 620 soo cooler for cpu
(seems like a overkill but hey it was 30 dollars and boxed new, I also know that this AIO came out years ago specifically 2011, but it’s still pretty good imo)
2 fans to bring in cool air, 2 fans to bring out hot air (one is connected with the AIO radiator)

So idk what happened. So last night I was playing a game of Roblox with Reshade mods on. Trust me Roblox may not seem like a demanding game, but even with my GTX 970 it struggles. So last night as I was playing then boom it just turned off. I did see glitch lines on the screen when it turned off though. So after that happened I went to turn it back on, and now my screen resolution display is incorrect, and blurry also it has blue like pixel lines all over the screen now.

i tried reseating it many times, and I reset my bios to default settings. I checked any of my hardware for any damages and tried running my computer off of my CPU’s integrated graphics, and it works fine.

I went to take apart my graphics card to see any damages, but I didn’t see any components that are damage, and I don’t smell any fried components.

so I suspect it’s my graphics card, I do have to say though that yes I overclocked it, but it was a mild overclocked both the core, and memory 100. I also bought this GPU from an eBay seller for 90 dollars and it was pretty dirty when I got it, so I replaced the thermal pads, and paste also cleaned it as well.

temps where okay most of the times my average temps would be 78c. Sometimes my temps will reach 80 degrees, or 83 which is the max I’ve seen this is because of my case NZXT H510 has bad airflow most of the time I would have to take out the glass panel for cooler air.

So what could’ve happened, did it fry is there anyway I can get it fixed, maybe a reflow?

oh yeah I forgot to the say the previous owner had his build close to his window, and somehow the GPU got wet.l, so on the back of the GPU or the backplate it has corrosion. Most of the corrosion where on the Heatsink screws one of them where even strip so I had to find another one. But Its still in working condition I even stressed test it multiple times. There is no corrosion on any components on the GPU it’s all clean. But ok the back of the GPU there are some white residue, and I did research and people say it’s something about flux whatever when soldering.

sorry I know it’s very long and if you got this far thank you very much I really need help, and answers right now.

Solution
Never thought about the newer 20 series GPU cause I thought they were expensive, but I will look into that.

Okay after watching a video 1650 vs 970 they seem to perform similar, or close that being the 1650 better sometimes. On ebay even for the new ones cost around 140, to 150 (free shipping) which is cool, and h=they do use less wattage, and have better support. But looking at the 980 price is similar, or sometimes cheaper, so Idk. I'll see, my cousin has a 1660ti and he recommended me it, but its over 200.

You are looking at a faster GPU in a 980 but then it is used with no warranty. 1660 super is also good or the Ti, if you want to spend the money on that. If you decide on a new 1650 super make sure it's the super...
Specs

Core i5 3570
8gb ram ddr3 1600mhz
Toshiba q pro SSD
Toshiba HDD 500gb
GTX 970 wind force g1
Corsair rm750 (new as a gift)
Antec h20 620 soo cooler for cpu
(seems like a overkill but hey it was 30 dollars and boxed new, I also know that this AIO came out years ago specifically 2011, but it’s still pretty good imo)
2 fans to bring in cool air, 2 fans to bring out hot air (one is connected with the AIO radiator)

So idk what happened. So last night I was playing a game of Roblox with Reshade mods on. Trust me Roblox may not seem like a demanding game, but even with my GTX 970 it struggles. So last night as I was playing then boom it just turned off. I did see glitch lines on the screen when it turned off though. So after that happened I went to turn it back on, and now my screen resolution display is incorrect, and blurry also it has blue like pixel lines all over the screen now.

i tried reseating it many times, and I reset my bios to default settings. I checked any of my hardware for any damages and tried running my computer off of my CPU’s integrated graphics, and it works fine.

I went to take apart my graphics card to see any damages, but I didn’t see any components that are damage, and I don’t smell any fried components.

so I suspect it’s my graphics card, I do have to say though that yes I overclocked it, but it was a mild overclocked both the core, and memory 100. I also bought this GPU from an eBay seller for 90 dollars and it was pretty dirty when I got it, so I replaced the thermal pads, and paste also cleaned it as well.

temps where okay most of the times my average temps would be 78c. Sometimes my temps will reach 80 degrees, or 83 which is the max I’ve seen this is because of my case NZXT H510 has bad airflow most of the time I would have to take out the glass panel for cooler air.

So what could’ve happened, did it fry is there anyway I can get it fixed, maybe a reflow?

oh yeah I forgot to the say the previous owner had his build close to his window, and somehow the GPU got wet.l, so on the back of the GPU or the backplate it has corrosion. Most of the corrosion where on the Heatsink screws one of them where even strip so I had to find another one. But Its still in working condition I even stressed test it multiple times. There is no corrosion on any components on the GPU it’s all clean. But ok the back of the GPU there are some white residue, and I did research and people say it’s something about flux whatever when soldering.

sorry I know it’s very long and if you got this far thank you very much I really need help, and answers right now.

Sorry to hear about the issues. I was going to ask about using the iGPU but you covered it already and I didn't read it. As simple as it may be, there is nothing else stopping your computer from working correctly but the GTX970. So the culprit is the GPU, and I wouldn't recommend fixing it but rather buying a new one and throwing the 970 in the bin, because simply enough the previous owner abused it too much, and it reached the end of its cycle. The gpu is probably running hot because of inconsistent cooling and the H510 is not the cause of the heat. Im afraid there is nothing you can do. Also another point is that the 970 was underperforming due to damage, because ROBLOX ran off my old office pc and ran fine, so it is a matter of the GPU just simply dying. So yes, throw the GPU out or do whatever and buy a new GPU.

Black friday is coming up soon so have a look at some deals.

And also put your GPU on display instead of throwing it out, I have a GTX1050 strix on display and it looks pretty nice

I hope I helped. Also a symptom of a fried GPU is a burning smell and a clear burn mark from the power input on the GPU. If you need any help on buying a new GPU then feel free to ask.

May 17, 2020
Sorry to hear about the issues. I was going to ask about using the iGPU but you covered it already and I didn't read it. As simple as it may be, there is nothing else stopping your computer from working correctly but the GTX970. So the culprit is the GPU, and I wouldn't recommend fixing it but rather buying a new one and throwing the 970 in the bin, because simply enough the previous owner abused it too much, and it reached the end of its cycle. The gpu is probably running hot because of inconsistent cooling and the H510 is not the cause of the heat. Im afraid there is nothing you can do. Also another point is that the 970 was underperforming due to damage, because ROBLOX ran off my old office pc and ran fine, so it is a matter of the GPU just simply dying. So yes, throw the GPU out or do whatever and buy a new GPU.

Black friday is coming up soon so have a look at some deals.

And also put your GPU on display instead of throwing it out, I have a GTX1050 strix on display and it looks pretty nice

I hope I helped. Also a symptom of a fried GPU is a burning smell and a clear burn mark from the power input on the GPU. If you need any help on buying a new GPU then feel free to ask.

Damn that really sucks I used most of my bday money for that card. I had a OEM gtx 1050 but I sold it should’ve kept it just incase this card fails. I would love to get the newer gen cards like the 100 series but even though it’s like over 200. I’m thinking about getting a 980 as it does have similar performance as the 1060 cause on eBay they usually sell for 130. Thank you for the quick reply really appreciate it looks like I won’t be using my computer for awhile until I get a GPU.

Yes roblox can be run on any computer on its lowest graphics. But when you turn up the graphics it gets demanding. As I mentioned earlier “Reshade” it’s pretty much like Minecraft with shaders, but for roblox. It has options like occlusion bloom , and DOF stuff. I’m sure it’s not gtx 970 degrading performance. Back when I had my 1050 I did not use Reshade but kept roblox at max graphics wouldn’t even hit 50 FPS most of the times.

again thank you for your time hope you’re having a good day/evening.

Damn that really sucks I used most of my bday money for that card. I had a OEM gtx 1050 but I sold it should’ve kept it just incase this card fails. I would love to get the newer gen cards like the 100 series but even though it’s like over 200. I’m thinking about getting a 980 as it does have similar performance as the 1060 cause on eBay they usually sell for 130. Thank you for the quick reply really appreciate it looks like I won’t be using my computer for awhile until I get a GPU.

Yes roblox can be run on any computer on its lowest graphics. But when you turn up the graphics it gets demanding. As I mentioned earlier “Reshade” it’s pretty much like Minecraft with shaders, but for roblox. It has options like occlusion bloom , and DOF stuff. I’m sure it’s not gtx 970 degrading performance. Back when I had my 1050 I did not use Reshade but kept roblox at max graphics wouldn’t even hit 50 FPS most of the times.

again thank you for your time hope you’re having a good day/evening.
Ok I understand. Where do you live, what currency do you use? Since you got it used its a slight shame you can't replace it (speaking of it I actually fried my 2060 a day later after this post :p, but I managed to get a replacement order coming). However, I would consider looking into buying gpus such as the RX570 or 1050 if you love in the UK/US because I you cna get a new RX570 for £90 on sale, so as I mentioned, have a look at black Friday sales, but if your really desperate, you can always get a used card but make sure to aks many questions on the card to prevent any repeat. Glad I could help

Reactions: Dendentric_cell
May 17, 2020
Ok I understand. Where do you live, what currency do you use? Since you got it used its a slight shame you can't replace it (speaking of it I actually fried my 2060 a day later after this post :p, but I managed to get a replacement order coming). However, I would consider looking into buying gpus such as the RX570 or 1050 if you love in the UK/US because I you cna get a new RX570 for £90 on sale, so as I mentioned, have a look at black Friday sales, but if your really desperate, you can always get a used card but make sure to aks many questions on the card to prevent any repeat. Glad I could help

Hello.
I'm really sorry for the late reply, and I'm sorry to hear that your GPU died as well. Thank you for recommending me the RX 570, or 1050. Though I already had a 1050, and even with the TI version it would still be a downgrade for me. I was thinking about getting a 970 again though in better condition, and a different aftermarket brand. I tried the rx570, but on eBay, and amazon it's close to 200 dollars because of shipping. It's also weird how the 1050TI cost more than the 970 I had (Maybe better support, and that it runs cooler). I was so close to getting an RX 480 but the cheap ones sold out so quick. I tried the 780TI, and they were cheaper sometimes performing better than the 970, but it uses to much power, or having worse support. I hope your solution gets fixed as for me I'm still using my IGPU while my dead GPU is just a display on my case now.

I'm trying to get a job cause I'm already 18, but I do not have an identification card which most jobs require you to have. The DMV at my place is closed so it's hard because of the Virus right now I'm trying to sell things I don't use, and collect coins to redeem them for dollar bills. The only thing I can do right now is to be patient.

May 17, 2020
1650 Super is the current mid-range budget king, it's a bit over a 970, and well under $200 new.

Never thought about the newer 20 series GPU cause I thought they were expensive, but I will look into that.

Okay after watching a video 1650 vs 970 they seem to perform similar, or close that being the 1650 better sometimes. On ebay even for the new ones cost around 140, to 150 (free shipping) which is cool, and h=they do use less wattage, and have better support. But looking at the 980 price is similar, or sometimes cheaper, so Idk. I'll see, my cousin has a 1660ti and he recommended me it, but its over 200.

You are looking at a faster GPU in a 980 but then it is used with no warranty. 1660 super is also good or the Ti, if you want to spend the money on that. If you decide on a new 1650 super make sure it's the super version and it has GDDR6, it can be easy to not notice that it's a standard 1650 since the prices are pretty close.

Solution
May 17, 2020
You are looking at a faster GPU in a 980 but then it is used with no warranty. 1660 super is also good or the Ti, if you want to spend the money on that. If you decide on a new 1650 super make sure it's the super version and it has GDDR6, it can be easy to not notice that it's a standard 1650 since the prices are pretty close.

I heard about the new series having GDDR6 compare to the old cards like the 1060 which has GDDR5. Guessing it's different Vrams, but does the type of VRAM matter more then the amount of VRAM it has?