Question Is my laptop's motherboard still in a good condition after failure on installing SSD SATA?

dzibanauf

Reputable
Nov 4, 2018
Hi,

This is my laptop type:
ASUS F571GT

I am a bit worried about my laptop's motherboard health condition after I was failed to install SSD SATA
(SSD WD BLUE 3D NAND 2.5 500GB SATA) using HDD kit from ASUS X415 (because I didn't get the kit for F571GT). What happened is while I was installing the HDD cable (already attached to my SSD) for the first time and connect it on HDD slot on my motherboard, firstly the laptop's BIOS cannot detect that SDD, but the second attempts (I unplugged the HDD cable then plugged it again), the HDD cable was fried and immediately I removed the cable. Was checking my laptop, restart it until the windows boot, everything run normally. I did some simple checking on ports, lcds, cpus, and gpus (by benchmarking it), everything run flawlessly. But, surely, I still worried.

My question is:

1. Is it any possibilities that my errors leads on unrecognized electrical failure on my motherboard? I s that any software or technique to assess it?
  2. What would happened with my HDD slot after the error? Is it broken? Is there any way to check it?
  3. What things that make the SDD and the kit can't be read by laptop and lead to cable fried?
Thanks a lot. I am a paranoid person, I really hope you could give me some information about my concerns.

Lutfij

Titan
1| It's possible that you might've damaged the cable and the port to which you tether said cable to.
2| Read 1| , if that does happen very likely the port is unuseable.
3| Getting the wrong cable for the job.

Mind sharing a link to the cable you purchased? Was the cable inserted and removed while the laptop was powered up?

dzibanauf

Reputable
Nov 4, 2018
1| It's possible that you might've damaged the cable and the port to which you tether said cable to.
2| Read 1| , if that does happen very likely the port is unuseable.
3| Getting the wrong cable for the job.

Mind sharing a link to the cable you purchased? Was the cable inserted and removed while the laptop was powered up?

Hi Lutfij, I really appreciate for your response,

Here's the link (local ecommerce from Indonesia) where I bought the cable:

https://www.tokopedia.com/ocheamskom/hdd-kit-asus-ataw-konventer-tambahan-hardisk
, but i don't think it could give you more information about the cable. The seller claimed that the cable was original from Asus X415

I could give you the detail on sticker that might contain some information,

X415 HDD FCC
04002-00080000 REV:X1
XY-2021.03.31

AWM 20706 105C 60V VW-1

while installing ssd, my laptop isn't being charged,

pretty sad to know that my hdd port on motherboard is unusable now, but is there any potential that other components in my motherboard got damaged too?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Inspect the motherboard and the SATA connector on the motherboard for any burnt or damage on the motherboard PCB. I didn't say that the port is damaged, I said it might be damaged. Yes, if the wrong wires were crossed, you can and will ruin other parts of the motherboard on the laptop. I don't know the PCB's trace diagrams though you will be able to tell if anything is amiss as time goes on, if the issue isn't apparent at first.