[SOLVED] Is my motherboard bad? Or am I doing something wrong?

Sep 30, 2021
Hello All,

First time builder here, so very much a newbie and open to any feedback. Been trying to test my core components before assembling everything together, and I can’t see to get off the ground with it.

For reference here are the components I’m using:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5800X
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x
  • RAM: Trident Z RGB 2 x 16 GB
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070

Down to my issue. I can’t seem to power up my motherboard/remaining components. When I plug everything in and turn on the Power Supply, nothing happens. PSU fan isn’t even turning, and there are no lights on the LED Debug and the RAM shows no light either. So at first I thought it could be the PSU. I tried the paper clip method with just the PSU and found that the fan initially began to spin up for a few seconds then stopped.

Per Corsair’s website, this could be normal as the Corsair PSU’s may have a zero-RPM feature. REF: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

I don’t have a multimeter yet to verify the output of the PSU, but assuming it may not be that, is there something wrong with my motherboard? I don’t see any visible damage to it, but it doesn’t even appear to power on. Or is there something wrong with the PSU? Should I do a BIOS update? On the motherboard box, there was a sticker claiming that it was Ryzen 5000 desktop ready so I figured I didn’t need to update the BIOS yet, but maybe I do?

Hoping it’s not a bad motherboard.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Feeling a bit overwhelmed since this is my first time.

Solution
So when you press the power button (not just turn on the PSU switch) nothing happens?

Have you tried jumping the two pins on the motherboard that the power button connects to?
Hello All,

First time builder here, so very much a newbie and open to any feedback. Been trying to test my core components before assembling everything together, and I can’t see to get off the ground with it.

For reference here are the components I’m using:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5800X
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x
  • RAM: Trident Z RGB 2 x 16 GB
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070
Down to my issue. I can’t seem to power up my motherboard/remaining components. When I plug everything in and turn on the Power Supply, nothing happens. PSU fan isn’t even turning, and there are no lights on the LED Debug and the RAM shows no light either. So at first I thought it could be the PSU. I tried the paper clip method with just the PSU and found that the fan initially began to spin up for a few seconds then stopped.

Per Corsair’s website, this could be normal as the Corsair PSU’s may have a zero-RPM feature. REF: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

I don’t have a multimeter yet to verify the output of the PSU, but assuming it may not be that, is there something wrong with my motherboard? I don’t see any visible damage to it, but it doesn’t even appear to power on. Or is there something wrong with the PSU? Should I do a BIOS update? On the motherboard box, there was a sticker claiming that it was Ryzen 5000 desktop ready so I figured I didn’t need to update the BIOS yet, but maybe I do?

Hoping it’s not a bad motherboard.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Feeling a bit overwhelmed since this is my first time.
you could try the psu on your friend's pc or test it on a local pc techncian while testing your pc with their psu. motherboard issues could cause this usually.

Sep 30, 2021
So when you press the power button (not just turn on the PSU switch) nothing happens?

Have you tried jumping the two pins on the motherboard that the power button connects to?

This worked! I kept looking for the power button to switch on the motherboard and found that mine didn’t have one, so it needed the jump start at the 2 power button pins. Looks like everything is now in working order.

Thank you!