Question Is my PC compatible with the RTX 3080?

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Hey there, I heard about the new 30 series cards and honestly looks like a steal to me, I am interested in the 3080 card, upgrading from the 2080 super which I can hopefully resell for atleast half the price. I was more-so wondering if the stuff I currently have would be compatible with the 3080 (other than the PSU, pretty sure I need an upgrade)
My parts listed here:
i7-7700k
Z270P-D3-CF motherboard
24gb DDR4 ram
650w PSU (don't remember what type of psu, just that it is 650, and I believe you need at LEAST a 750 for these new ones... Correct me if I am wrong please)
current gpu 2080 super obviously

I think that's all the info needed, if there's a lack of info please let me know so I can add that! Would like to upgrade hassle free hahaha.
Thanks!

It´s still PCIe, your setup will work with it.

The 3080 should have a TDP of 320Watt instead of your 250Watt 2080 super
Your old system might be at 520Watt @ max. (overclocked) , plus a 3080 +70Watt

Depending on which PSU you have it also would work with "just" 650W. (system should not be overclocked to the max. then)

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
It´s still PCIe, your setup will work with it.

The 3080 should have a TDP of 320Watt instead of your 250Watt 2080 super
Your old system might be at 520Watt @ max. (overclocked) , plus a 3080 +70Watt

Depending on which PSU you have it also would work with "just" 650W. (system should not be overclocked to the max. then)
I typically don't overclock anything about my PC, I don't like screwing with that type of stuff. I play games that are graphic intensive often, but that shouldn't really have the same wattage output as overclocking right? And I'm looking at my PSU, it's an EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 80+ Gold -- Not sure how great that is I bought it a while ago without doing too much research lol. Although on amazon the prices of it have SERIOUSLY shot up. Like jesus.

So another question from that, if I were to remain with my 650w, would I need to purchase a different adapter cable for the 3080? (I lost my cable box, so what I have is what's in my PC lol)

mjbn1977

Distinguished
if you decide to run a 650 Watt PSU make sure its a good quality one. You don't want to risk you new RTX3080, don't you? It would be worth investing in a good quality higher wattage PSU. Some of the quality ones give you 10 years of warranty and will last you many builds. So it is definitely worth it. I am myself in a similar position. I am also planning to upgrade to RTX 3080 and I am upgrading my RM650x to a RM850x. They are great PSU, high quality, fully modular and very silent. Unfortunately, there is a shortage on the market right now

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
if you decide to run a 650 Watt PSU make sure its a good quality one. You don't want to risk you new RTX3080, don't you? It would be worth investing in a good quality higher wattage PSU. Some of the quality ones give you 10 years of warranty and will last you many builds. So it is definitely worth it. I am myself in a similar position. I am also planning to upgrade to RTX 3080 and I am upgrading my RM650x to a RM850x. They are great PSU, high quality, fully modular and very silent. Unfortunately, there is a shortage on the market right now
Yeah no kidding. That PSU is running around $230 looks like :( PSU's used to be so cheap!

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Sorry, that was the price yesterday. Now its $188....just checked
I guess I'll stop being stingy and just buy the power supply too, lol. Might as well just to be safe, would rather spend $174 (neweggs listed price for me for that PSU) than thousands on a new PC if it all <Mod Edit> up. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by a moderator:

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I was considering to keep my RM650x and give it a shot. By I overclock and just want to run it save. I'd rather don't spent the money on a new PSU but I see it as a investment in the future, since it will last me at least for the next 2 builds...

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
I was considering to keep my RM650x and give it a shot. By I overclock and just want to run it save. I'd rather don't spent the money on a new PSU but I see it as a investment in the future, since it will last me at least for the next 2 builds...
Hurts the ol' wallet but might as well be safe than sorry lol

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
hmmm....price can be right....I saw it in the US for as low as $129 recently. I don't know the seller.....on what website is this?
It's on newegg, but it's on newegg as a third-party seller I think. Says "Sold by Deal Targets" in the picture. So confused about this PSU lol, it has like 50 different prices on every website right now and instock/out of stock aren't consistent either

mjbn1977

Distinguished
It's on newegg, but it's on newegg as a third-party seller I think. Says "Sold by Deal Targets" in the picture. So confused about this PSU lol, it has like 50 different prices on every website right now and instock/out of stock aren't consistent either
This is a common thing right now. There is big shortage on PSUs due to Covid-19 caused factory closures, backorders and stuff. Everything over 650Watt is in super short supply. And RTX 3080 and 3090 high power needs don't help with the situation neither....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts