Is my PSU dying ?

masterfalcon3000

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017
i do have my pc for 3 years now ... recently when i start up my computer the ssd or the hdd are not shown in the bios so i can't start up my windows so what i have to do is to turn it off and wait for like 30 min then it works OR i should remove the power + sata cables from them and put it again ... So this problem recently has been annoying me , So is it from the power supply

My Power supply called : SolidGear SDGR-750E ATX

Should i get a new power supply .. and what is the best power supplies for gaming at the moment

Pc Specs : GTX 1080 - i5 6600K - Asus h170 pro

Thanks in advance

Solution
Yikes, that's a frightening power supply, even if working, to use with an expensive GPU.

Since I'd replace it under any circumstances, that should be the first step of diagnosing the problem like this. Having a junk PSU in the mix tends to make diagnosing issues that may have some kind of power delivery cause much trickier.

The new Corsair CX series (not the old one with the green letters) and the SeaSonic S12/M12 520/620 tend to be the least expensive PSUs worth bothering with in a PC with a GPU that uses supplementary power.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $42.88...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yikes, that's a frightening power supply, even if working, to use with an expensive GPU.

Since I'd replace it under any circumstances, that should be the first step of diagnosing the problem like this. Having a junk PSU in the mix tends to make diagnosing issues that may have some kind of power delivery cause much trickier.

The new Corsair CX series (not the old one with the green letters) and the SeaSonic S12/M12 520/620 tend to be the least expensive PSUs worth bothering with in a PC with a GPU that uses supplementary power.

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $42.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-15 11:04 EDT-0400

Given how inexpensively it can be had at the moment, it would be hard to not go up a tier, especially considering the value of the GPU you want to protect.

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $57.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-15 11:05 EDT-0400

Solution

speedchampion2004

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018

tbh, yes. im assuming your psu has also been running for 3 years which is a LONG time. so what I think you should do is upgrade to the Corsair cx or tx750m or a bigger power supply as your parts are actually power hungry and even more so if you have overclocked them. Good psu brands are EVGA, Corsair, Coolermaster, NZXT, well actually all the top brands that create pc parts are good.

That indicates that one of the PSU's protection circuits has been triggered requiring a reset of the PSU. This problem may happen with group regulated PSUs used in Intel Haswell and later systems when they enter C6 or C7 low power sleep states. The group regulated PSU will become unbalanced (i.e. one or more of the voltage rails will drop below or rise above the limits allowed by the ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide Specs) when the system enters C6 or C7 low power sleep state. This can cause an SSD or HDD to disappear from the list of boot devices and reappear after one or more complete power-off and power-on cycles.

Buy a PSU that uses DC-to-DC voltage regulation on its outputs.