Question Is my PSU the issue?

brandon2912

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Every time I play a game on my PC, my computer will suddenly stop and freeze. No error message, no BSoD, no funny noises, nothing. Everything just stops, audio stops, mouse movements, CTRL + ALT + DEL, ALT + TAB, nothing works. I have to hard reset my computer.

There is no warning when it will do this, and I could play a game for hours and be fine or it could be as little as 10 minutes into the game. And I cannot understand why it is ONLY when I'm gaming.

I've done multiple tests, and looked at all the error logs I've been told to do, tried to take a look at my BIOS, but nothing is showing up, and I can't find the solution.

It started when I installed my new graphics card (NVIDIA GTX 1080). While I'm aware it may be this, I do not have my old one to test it. I think I've narrowed it down to either this, or the PSU (Antec 550W Earthwatts EA550G 80+ Gold Power Supply).

Is the PSU sufficient enough, or would it be the GPU?

I should mention this PSU is an upgraded one from when I first built my PC, as the old one was faulty and shut down randomly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

My PC build is as follows:

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K Skylake 4GHz Quad-Core CPU LGA 1151

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080 6GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3 Socket LGA1151 ATX Motherboard - DDR4

PSU: Antec 550W Earthwatts EA550G 80+ Gold Power Supply

brandon2912

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Your psu is adequate and antec is decent.

Have you overclocked your 6700K?
If so, back off a notch.

A failure over time smacks of a thermal issue.
Monotor your cpu temperatures, if it approaches 100c. you may shut down.
I have not overclocked anything. And I do not believe it's a thermal issue, it was one of the first things i checked, but i'll double check