[SOLVED] Is my RTX 2080 too powerful for my pc?

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
I recently bought a 2080 to replace my 1070. The CPU i currently have is a ryzen 7 1700. Whenever I am trying to play games it ends up crashing in about 5-10 minutes or less. My first thought is that my cpu isn't good enough or would there be some other reason my games would be crashing with this 2080

My full build:
-AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core
-EVGA Black GeForce RTX 2080 Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6
-Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4
-Corsair - Dominator Platinum 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
-EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 750 W 80+ Gold

Yes it's always a good idea to uninstall and reinstall drivers when switching over. I did as Barty mentioned and it worked perfectly. I have a thread in here somewhere that someone posted a step by step process for ddu. It was titled "DDU necessary " or something along that line.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
So what your saying is the drivers from the 1070 might be what’s causing the problems and I should uninstall them?

Yes, quite possibly. Nvidia drivers 'should' be a little more seamless than switching AMD to NVidia or vice-versa, but it's rarely the case.
Fully remove GPU drivers (in safe mode) with DDU. Reboot & reinstall drivers for the 2080 and see how you fare.

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
Yes, quite possibly. Nvidia drivers 'should' be a little more seamless than switching AMD to NVidia or vice-versa, but it's rarely the case.
Fully remove GPU drivers (in safe mode) with DDU. Reboot & reinstall drivers for the 2080 and see how you fare.

I have tried running DDU but once i'm in safe it doesn't let me run the file (tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software as well). I tried looking up why this would happen and couldn't find any fix.