Question Is my SSD a refurbished part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_rays

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
I've got a Crucial MX500 (250GB) SSD. On front side of the product I can see a (RE) but I'm not sure what it stands for. It says "Assembled in Mexico (RE)"
Is my SSD refurbished?

Lutfij

Titan
I had a Crucial MX500 SSD purchased off of Newegg which was listed as brand new, for a friends build, the thing you mention is stated on the SSD I purchased, though last I checked, goods that are refurbished don't come in their original packaging, while my SSD came in exactly the same retail packaging as everyone else, so I'd like to think you nor I got a refurbished unit/part.

Did you get a colored packaging for your SSD? If it came in a brown box, it's refurbished.

blue_rays

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
I had a Crucial MX500 SSD purchased off of Newegg which was listed as brand new, for a friends build, the thing you mention is stated on the SSD I purchased, though last I checked, goods that are refurbished don't come in their original packaging, while my SSD came in exactly the same retail packaging as everyone else, so I'd like to think you nor I got a refurbished unit/part.

Did you get a colored packaging for your SSD? If it came in a brown box, it's refurbished.

If product packaging in this image is original, yes mine is exactly like this (but in 250GB).
Crucial%2BMX500%2B2.5-inch%2B500GB%2Bbox%2Bpackaging.jpg

Crucial does have manufacturing plants in Mexico.

Bought from where?
Advertised as new?
What does CrystalDiskInfo show for power on hours and TBW?
Actually I've not installed it yet to check these details but I've got it from my friend and I think he bought it from amazon.
Is there anyway for them to reset the TBW value and sell the product as a brand new one?

USAFRet

Titan
If product packaging in this image is original, yes mine is exactly like this (but in 250GB).

Actually I've not installed it yet to check these details but I've got it from my friend and I think he bought it from amazon.
Is there anyway for them to reset the TBW value and sell the product as a brand new one?

From actual Amazon, or from a reseller on Amazon?
It matters.

In that box, it is almost certainly fine.

Not sure what the (RE) stands for, but Mexico is absolutely normal for Curcial/Micron.

blue_rays

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
From actual Amazon, or from a reseller on Amazon?
It matters.

In that box, it is almost certainly fine.

Not sure what the (RE) stands for, but Mexico is absolutely normal for Curcial/Micron.
I'm not sure, maybe a reseller. I think I need to install it and check for details to make sure before installing any OS.

Aug 21, 2023
Did you figure out if it was genuine, refurb or what?
I've got the same question and can reassure you guys that "Assembled in Mexico (RE)" does not mean it's refurbished. I've reached out to Micron directly and asked them. Here's their response:

We would like to inform you that "Mexico (RE)" is country of origin marking. This indicates that the SSD is manufactured in a second plant in Reynoso, Mexico.

It's all good! Apparrently they got a second plant in the country, and "RE" means Reynoso, the city where this second plant is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.