Question Is my SSD corrupt? It's not showing up anymore, after reinstall of Windows

Mar 4, 2019
Hello Everyone, looking for some input on whether or not my SSD is corrupt.

This last Friday I was updating the BIOS and some other updates through Gigabyte and the software center. When I logged on the next day, Windows was operating funny (things like windows media player not loading, only being able to type 3 letters into the win+r dialogue box before it closed, as examples) and then I got the blue screen: Recovery "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired...\System32\drivers\pci.sys....Error code: 0xc0000242." I couldn't access the Update/Recovery settings or do anything else. When I selected F1 to enter the Recovery Environment my screen went blank and then restarted.

It never successfully booted up again, despite trying a different BOOT order or through Legacy BOOT. Before I was booting using UEFI: ADATA.... which is my SSD and had the OS installed and most of my data. However, that was no longer an option and every attempt to boot with a different option took me to the black screen asking me to insert a media device to boot and press a button.

Well, I downloaded a new version of Windows on another computer and booted/reinstalled with USB. When I went to reinstall the OS, the SSD was no longer an option (it couldn't find the drive) and had to install on the HDD (there goes all my data, but its a relatively new build so I can manage). The only drives available were the motherboard drive and my 4tb additional HD.

Installed it on the HDD and got back up and running.

I've reseated the SSD multiple times in different SATA ports and its not showing up in Disk Management.

Is it possible that it's corrupt? My previous OS was corrupted during that update, so is it possible the drive went bad as well?

The SSD is a 240GB ADATA ASU650 SSD

Computer specs:
Gigabyte Z370
Intel i7-8086K
GTX 1080 Ti
Corsair RMi Series RM1000i 80 PLUS (power)

Most of the HDD is full from the windows install and I have the 4tb but the SSD and its super fast boot times are hard to live without now and the extra space for my C: would be hugely beneficial.

I'm a little off the beaten path up here in Alaska so it takes a while to order new parts and go see the local computer tech. I'm just trying to get a better grasp of what's going on here or what I can do to try to get Windows to identify and then format the SSD.

I'm still a beginner at building computers, so I am still reliant on looking up various diagnostics, etc online but I always get links to this forum so I'm giving it a shot. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
You can try and take the SSD and connect it to another donor system and see if it shows up there. Often times cables can get damaged. Did you also try using different power connectors? How old is the SSD? I'm also worried reading about you updating drivers using software center, is that a third party app that tells you if driver updates are pending?

Mar 4, 2019
You can try and take the SSD and connect it to another donor system and see if it shows up there. Often times cables can get damaged. Did you also try using different power connectors? How old is the SSD? I'm also worried reading about you updating drivers using software center, is that a third party app that tells you if driver updates are pending?

SSD was bought new in August. I'll try out some various cables tomorrow and see if that works. To clarify, I used the Windows Update within the settings in the OS, not a third party. The Gigabyte updates were using the Aorus App Center from the motherboard manufacturer. Sorry for the confusion on that end. I'll try out what you suggested and let you know the results.

Thanks.