Question Is my SSD too slow?

pasi123567

Honorable
Feb 21, 2016
When I try to copy files from one place of the SSD to another one, it seems really slow for what the SSD is capable of. I am wondering if this is normal behaviour or if there is something wrong.

I am using a 4TB KC3000 M2 SSD.

doGZ5X5.png

File tranfer seems slow?

7crm2OU.png

pasi123567

Honorable
Feb 21, 2016
Your CrystalDiskMark numbers are right on point.

Slow in copying is simply what happens when you are reading and writing to the same drive at the same time.

Nothing is broken, nothing needs to be fixed.

That makes sense, but is it really supposed to be this slow? I kind of hoped to get this SSD to copy files faster on this drive only since it's the only one I use all the time and it seems there is not a single improvement over a normal SATA SSD. Kind of dissapointed that this is not better at all for solely copying files on the drive itself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The speed of the drive only applies to when its moving data to another drive, you would notice the difference if 2 drives were involved. AS it is, it has to do all the actions on one drive.
Otherwise you stuck with the speed of the memory and the amount it has to play with. 163mb isn't a lot so I would assume a 4tb drive has big enough cache to write that all in at one time. it then needs to write it onto another part of the same drive.

pasi123567

Honorable
Feb 21, 2016
The speed of the drive only applies to when its moving data to another drive, you would notice the difference if 2 drives were involved. AS it is, it has to do all the actions on one drive.
Otherwise you stuck with the speed of the memory and the amount it has to play with. 163mb isn't a lot so I would assume a 4tb drive has big enough cache to write that all in at one time. it then needs to write it onto another part of the same drive.
163MB was just the rest of the file that needed to tranfser, the file itself was around 1GB. Okay but if this can't be improved, then is there any SSD that can do this faster?

USAFRet

Titan
163MB was just the rest of the file that needed to tranfser, the file itself was around 1GB. Okay but if this can't be improved, then is there any SSD that can do this faster?
No.

This is simply the way things work.
ALL storage devices are slow when copying from one part of it to another.

Your current drive is PCIe 4.0 x4. Currently, there are not any "faster" devices.
If you were doing this with any other drive, it would be slower.

And this highlights the main marketing fallacy with the big numbers posted for SSDs.
An SSDs real benefit over HDD is the near zero access time. ALL of them benefit from this.

The big sequential read/write speed (top line on CDM) for PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 drives is only really applicable when copying a large single file between 2 such devices.

There is nothing wrong, there is nothing to fix, there is nothing to be disappointed with.

pasi123567

Honorable
Feb 21, 2016
Your current drive is PCIe 4.0 x4. Currently, there are not any "faster" devices.
Well, I thought perhaps there are drives that can do this specific process faster but are not faster overall.

There is nothing wrong, there is nothing to fix, there is nothing to be disappointed with.

Well it is dissapointing that drives aren't faster when copying files in general. I don't regret the purchase as I know at least that this drive will be in use for quiet some time.

pasi123567

Honorable
Feb 21, 2016
So I just tested this with a friend who has a SSD as well (970 EVO) and he has values around 500mb/s file copy on the same drive in the same folder, which when I try it I get to 20mb/s again. What could be wrong?

pasi123567

Honorable
Feb 21, 2016
Create a folder C:\TEMP
create 2 folders in C:\TEMP - folder1 and folder2,
Copy your 163MB file in folder1,
then copy file from folder1 to folder2.
Test, how much time it takes for the copy process.

Okay so I tried this now and I have found a weird behaviour. So what I tried copying was older video recording files. Apparently newer recording files actually transfer much faster (2Gb/s) than these older ones. As soon as I copy the older one once with slow transfer, copying it again like in your example from folder1 to folder2 is then yet again fast with roughly 2Gb/s. What could be the cause here? Are the files bad or maybe a windows problem?