[SOLVED] Is my system ready for RTX 3060ti?

Sep 3, 2020
I am thinking of getting an RTX 3060ti for my PC (upgrading from GTX 1060). I was wondering if my pc is good enough to support the GPU without having a significant bottleneck, if I should upgrade any other components for it, and if there is a good alternative to the 3060ti that is cheaper and that I should consider instead. Also, specs say that my CPU supports RAM at 2400mhz max but I ive seen people using faster ram and I am wondering why it says max 2400mhz if you can use more. Thanks in advance for any answers.

CPU: i7 7700k (not overclocked currently but if I should overclock it I will)
CPU cooler: Corsair 100i V2
Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-P
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 2*8 @2400mhz
PSU: EVGA Supernova g3 650
SSD: Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB (not boot drive because I was lazy)
Case: Corsair Crystal 460x - 3 intake in the front, 2 intake from Cpu cooler on the top, no exaust (is it worth getting an exaust fan in the back?)

Solution
How old is the PSU in your build? I think you will need to change that unit alongside the GPU purchase, considering that an older PSU will output less power over time. If I were you I'd change the rams as well to DDR4-3200MHz to get the sweet spot out of your platform, then drop in an RTX3060 or higher into the system. You are loosing some performance being on DDR4-2400MHz. Also, due to the hierarchy chart you're logical move for a GPU upgrade will be an RTX 3060 or higher to perceive an upgrade in any system.

If you've followed through the commotion of the RTX3000 series, even if you had the highest end processor, it still wouldn't extract all the potential of the GPU, meaning that your platform will be behind on performance in spite...

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build? I think you will need to change that unit alongside the GPU purchase, considering that an older PSU will output less power over time. If I were you I'd change the rams as well to DDR4-3200MHz to get the sweet spot out of your platform, then drop in an RTX3060 or higher into the system. You are loosing some performance being on DDR4-2400MHz. Also, due to the hierarchy chart you're logical move for a GPU upgrade will be an RTX 3060 or higher to perceive an upgrade in any system.

If you've followed through the commotion of the RTX3000 series, even if you had the highest end processor, it still wouldn't extract all the potential of the GPU, meaning that your platform will be behind on performance in spite of an overclock.

Solution
Sep 3, 2020

If you've followed through the commotion of the RTX3000 series, even if you had the highest end processor, it still wouldn't extract all the potential of the GPU, meaning that your platform will be behind on performance in spite of an overclock.
my power supply is maybe 3 and a half years old

Reactions: Why_Me