is there a blank floppy disc to hold 4.5 gb??

Andy

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?, and if
so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7 but i dont have
a DVD writer!

Many thanks for any advice.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Q. "Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?"

A. No. Consider investing in a DVD-R drive or an external USB drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

Andy wrote:
> Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?, and if
> so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7 but i dont have
> a DVD writer!
>
> Many thanks for any advice.

No, there is no floppy disk available with that capacity.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

One floppy disk won't cut it, but if you get a whole bunch and some duct
tape...

"Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?, and if
> so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7 but i dont
> have a DVD writer!
>
> Many thanks for any advice.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

No, but a DVD±R±RW drives are now one step or two out of
being cutting edge and so you can buy one for less than $50
US and DVD-R are less than a dollar. Floppies needed to
equal 1 CD-R are about 450 pieces and to equal one DVD-R
require over 3,000. So even if you don't mind the cost of
buying a huge number of floppies, think of the time it takes
to write each disk and the carpal tunnel injury you'd have
after the repetitive stress of all that work.
You can also get an external hard drive. You can buy a
flash card reader and but an 8 GB CF card, but that is still
very expensive.

"Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least
4.5 gb?, and if
| so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold
4.7 but i dont have
| a DVD writer!
|
| Many thanks for any advice.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Tom Porterfield wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?,
>> and if so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7
>> but i dont have a DVD writer!
>>
>> Many thanks for any advice.
>
> No, there is no floppy disk available with that capacity.

If there were such a floppy... it would most likely cost more than a DVD
writer.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I use:
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/?epi_menuItemID=ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068&epi_menuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/Personal%20Storage%203000%20Family/Personal%20Storage%203000LS
in order to have a backup of my files.

Works perfect
kmex

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> No, but a DVD±R±RW drives are now one step or two out of
> being cutting edge and so you can buy one for less than $50
> US and DVD-R are less than a dollar. Floppies needed to
> equal 1 CD-R are about 450 pieces and to equal one DVD-R
> require over 3,000. So even if you don't mind the cost of
> buying a huge number of floppies, think of the time it takes
> to write each disk and the carpal tunnel injury you'd have
> after the repetitive stress of all that work.
> You can also get an external hard drive. You can buy a
> flash card reader and but an 8 GB CF card, but that is still
> very expensive.

> "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> | Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least
> 4.5 gb?, and if
> | so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold
> 4.7 but i dont have
> | a DVD writer!
> |
> | Many thanks for any advice.

martin

Andy wrote:
> Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?, and if
> so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7 but i dont have
> a DVD writer!
>
> Many thanks for any advice.

You could use WinZip (don't forget to pay the licence fee if you keep
using it) to zip everything up and then span the archive across
something like 3,000 floppies.

Might be cheaper to purchase a new hard drive or DVD RW though