Sep 11, 2021
I´m planning on investing in a new monitor and have read that the resolution, refresh rate, response time etc. is contributing in defining the demands of the processor. If that is correct, then I may need to upgrade my processor as it is a few years old by now. Therefore I´ll ask if this is correct and whether there is something specific to be mindful of, in matching monitor and processor?

In case it´s relevant the monitor will be something along the lines of 1440p resolution, and my builds basic info is listed below:

GPU/Skærmkort:
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

CPU/Processor:
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
o Grundlæggende hastighed: 3,50 GHz
o Sockets: 1
o Cores: 4
o Logical processors: 4

RAM:
• 16,0 GB

Systemtype:
• 64-bit system, x64 processor

Solution
Actually not, see, the gpu and cpu is a good match... and when they were released, this setup was touted as one of the best QHD gaming setup... the higher resolution u go, the more load increase on the gpu; so u can go for a 1440p monitor ...
Sep 11, 2021
monitor more relate to the gpu than the cpu

what are you using the pc for?

I was wondering how the cpu would be the bottleneck, so that makes sense.

I use it for a little bit of everything; video, office work (i.e. programs like word or mendeley) and gaming. I´d call myself a casual gamer that likes graphical high or ultra settings.

Sep 11, 2021
Just to be sure I get your meaning, when you say
modern OSes will always give the GUI time on the CPU.
you mean that the operating system will allot my "interface" (what I do on my monitor) space to perform tasks, so that graphically demanding programs, like games, won´t stutter etc?

Sep 11, 2021
Actually not, see, the gpu and cpu is a good match... and when they were released, this setup was touted as one of the best QHD gaming setup... the higher resolution u go, the more load increase on the gpu; so u can go for a 1440p monitor ...
That´s grand, then I think my build is still up to snuff for my needs, and I´ll get a 1440p monitor.

Although I`ll probably invest in one or two ssd´s to boost the speed.