[SOLVED] Is there a way to install M2 NVME SSD on a Asus A88x-Plus?

Mohammed Taz

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
I wanted to install a NVME SSD on my motherboard, but my motherboard does not have a M2 slot. A friend recommended me to buy PCIEx to M2 adapters card and use that.

1. I want to know is it possible to use and install windows on it? or should it be used as a secondary storage?
2. Is it worth it? I read that adapters like this aren't generally faster and A88x plus is an older board so it doesn't have NVME drivers, and i might have to install custom BIOS (I am not good with motherboards so I am not sure if i wanna do that, sounds complicated)
3. I have AMD A8-7600, would it better to buy a new motherboard that supports NVME?

mobo: https://dlcdnimgs.asus.com/websites/global/products/NvVufFy4PZFRklXe/A88X-PLUS_Line.jpg

Thanks

Solution
1. Yes it would be possible with a PCIe card but not as a boot drive.

2. No its not worth it on that old of a board. A standard SATA 2.5in SSD is sufficient

3. Buy a new mobo and CPU.

USAFRet

Titan
Unless there is a specific BIOS update that addresses booting from an NVMe drive in a PCIe slot, it will not do it.

Don't get all gushy over he supposed speed benefit of an NVMe vs SATA III SSD.
In a LOT of use cases, you'll see zero difference. On an older motherboard such as yours, even less difference.

Do not bother.

As far as "new motherboard"...only if you are actually building a whole new system.