Question is there a wireless mouse that can be held in the hand for use with a Windows 10 pc

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
I'm looking for a wireless mouse or maybe a wireless game controller that I can hold in my hand and use like a mouse. It needs to be something that I can literally hold and use in my hand and is wireless. I'm searching for brand names or products that fit these criteria.

My problem is that the physical space where I can put a mouse is too far from my shoulder such that I end up straining my arm and wrist when I use the mouse for even short periods of time. Right now, I use a wireless mouse and KB (Logitech). When I use the KB, I put it on my lap and have no problem. I use the mouse for the usual things - select icons on the desktop (Windows 10) to open an app and to use a browser to surf the net. In the browser, I use the mouse for the usual - scrolling, highlighting text, copying and paste, clicking links, performing menu actions, etc.

My google searches for the mouse have been unproductive. The results are usually a mouse intended for business presentations, that is, they have laser pointers built into the product. That is overkill for my usage.

I ask about game controllers only because I do not know anything about them. The games I play use the traditional KB and mouse combo, and that works out fine. It's just sometimes I see videos showing third party game controllers being used on a regular pc to play arcade-style games and wonder if there are any controllers that can be used as an everyday substitute for a mouse on a home desktop computer.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
You could just pair your system to an Xbox(360 or One) controller. I think you might want to share a picture of your desktop space. If your setup follows ergonomics then you shouldn't be experiencing any issues with your hand/shoulder, leading me to think your posture or your setup is off.

I personally have a MINIX NEO W2 remote that I use to watch movies and video/YT with sitting at a distance. Perhaps that's what you're looking for?

kanewolf

Titan
I'm looking for a wireless mouse or maybe a wireless game controller that I can hold in my hand and use like a mouse. It needs to be something that I can literally hold and use in my hand and is wireless. I'm searching for brand names or products that fit these criteria.

My problem is that the physical space where I can put a mouse is too far from my shoulder such that I end up straining my arm and wrist when I use the mouse for even short periods of time. Right now, I use a wireless mouse and KB (Logitech). When I use the KB, I put it on my lap and have no problem. I use the mouse for the usual things - select icons on the desktop (Windows 10) to open an app and to use a browser to surf the net. In the browser, I use the mouse for the usual - scrolling, highlighting text, copying and paste, clicking links, performing menu actions, etc.

My google searches for the mouse have been unproductive. The results are usually a mouse intended for business presentations, that is, they have laser pointers built into the product. That is overkill for my usage.

I ask about game controllers only because I do not know anything about them. The games I play use the traditional KB and mouse combo, and that works out fine. It's just sometimes I see videos showing third party game controllers being used on a regular pc to play arcade-style games and wonder if there are any controllers that can be used as an everyday substitute for a mouse on a home desktop computer.

Thanks.
The generic term I have heard is "air mouse" -- https://www.newegg.com/p/173-022R-0...se&cm_re=air_mouse-_-9SIAPCWBN59490-_-Product

the generic term for such things is a wireless presentation mouse, commonly used for showing Powerpoint slides and such. I like the precision of thumb trackball models as I really don't care for pointing-stick types, but both are easily used in a pocket or behind your back while giving a presentation, where I think a touchpad would produce too many accidental clicks (physical trigger button FTW). Adesso makes one you wave around in the air like a Wii controller or gyro TV remote if you don't mind looking ridiculous.

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Thanks guys. I'll follow up on the leads. Was getting very frustrated doing Google search because, for whatever reason, it is ignoring the search operator - the minus sign - I was using as part of the search phrase and returned tons of useless results.

They all look like they could fill the bill. I will be using it at home for personal use in my living room. I do not own any gaming consoles nor have I played on one since the 1980s, which is why I asked about hand held game controllers.

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Just wanted to share with all those who responded to my original question what I ended up doing.

The response that I should do searches using terms like "air mouse" or "air remote" was great. Those terms led me to much more narrowly focused results. There was still a lot of noise in the results, however.

From there I identified three or so products that looked like
they matched what I was looking for.

The first one that caught my eye was the "2-in -1 Gyration Air Mouse, Mini 2.4G Gyro Wireless Mouse". One of the respondents to my question mentioned it. I tried it but returned it because I ended up rubbing a blister in the palm of my hand from using it and I could not satisfactorily adjust the cursor movement. AFAIUI, it uses a built-in gyro to calculate the movement/position of the mouse cursor. The main take-away for me was to pay attention of the size of the device relative to the size of my hand <LOL>

The second device I tried is "EIGIIS 2.4G Ergonomic Trackball Handheld Finger USB Mouse". I've only had it for a day so far, but I expect I'll be keeping it. It satisfies the criteria I listed. It is
wireless. This has two models, one without a laser pointer and one with a laser pointer. I bought the one without a laser pointer because the laser pointer adds no value to my use of the device. It uses the trackball to move the mouse, not an optical/LED light, so it does not use a surface like traditional mouse for cursor movement. Its size fits my hand fairly well. It will take some time for me to adjust to using the buttons for left-click and right-click but I think that's due to where they are situated on the device. The one demerit with it in my
mind is that it feels "flimsy", as if it won't hold up over time. I
hope I'm wrong about that.

I did find another brand that might be an alternative if I don't stick with this one. It is "ELECOM 2.4GHz Wirelss Handheld Thumb Control Trackball Mouse". From its description and picture, it seems like it could work out for me too. The downside is that it's about $20 more than the one I bought.

John