[SOLVED] Is there any way to get 144hz or even 120 hz with an external monitor from my MSI laptop

aplascencia

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Hello, I recently purchased a laptop and I have had it for about a month now. I bought it as I was traveling alot and wanted something to game on that was relatively budget friendly, however now that I am back home I am unsure is I will be able to use my monitor to its full potential, I do have a separate gaming rig but this laptop is a little more powerful than my desktop so ideally I would like to use this and maybe sell my desktop, but It does not have a mini display port and I do not know if it supports USBc alt mode. any Ideas how I could maybe connect it to my monitor and get 120+ hz or am I SOL?

This is my laptop: MSI Katana GF66 11UE-031 15.6" Gaming Laptop Computer - Black; Intel Core i7 11th Gen 11800H 2.3GHz Processor; NVIDIA - Micro Center

port specs:
USB 2.0
1 x USB 2.0 (Type-A)
USB 3.1
2 x USB 3.2 (Gen 1 Type-A)
1 x USB 3.2 (Gen 1 Type-C)
LAN RJ-45
Audio
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
even if I was to get a usb c to display port cable or adapter, I probably wouldn’t get anything past 60hz?
all depends on the quality of cable you can find.
many out there do not offer enough bandwidth to supply that resolution and refresh rate and many that claim they do simply don't.

make sure you find one that has a lot of customer reviews stating it provides the options that you're looking for.

and if buying one locally make sure the retailer will offer a full refund if it doesn't work out.

if it's a new laptop maybe just return it for another that offers DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0+.
kind of sucks that so many of the newer models have begun to only include Type-C or Thunderbolt while most displays do not.

you never know...

aplascencia

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
an RTX 3060 can definitely output 144MHz.
but the external monitor you are using also needs to be included.

you would also need a cable that provides enough bandwidth
but USB 3.2 Type-C can offer up to 2160p @ 60Hz, 1440p @ 144Hz, and 1080p @240hz.
My monitor is an asus 144hz 1080p monitor, so the monitor is fine, I run it at 144hz with my desktop, I was under the impression that usb c was slower than display port, so even if I was to get a usb c to display port cable or adapter, I probably wouldn’t get anything past 60hz?

even if I was to get a usb c to display port cable or adapter, I probably wouldn’t get anything past 60hz?
many out there do not offer enough bandwidth to supply that resolution and refresh rate and many that claim they do simply don't.

make sure you find one that has a lot of customer reviews stating it provides the options that you're looking for.

and if buying one locally make sure the retailer will offer a full refund if it doesn't work out.

if it's a new laptop maybe just return it for another that offers DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0+.
kind of sucks that so many of the newer models have begun to only include Type-C or Thunderbolt while most displays do not.

you never know when you may want to upgrade your display again.
then you may need a new cable\adapter again depending on what you can find now.

Last edited:
Solution

aplascencia

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013

you never know when you may want to upgrade your display again.
then you may need a new cable\adapter again depending on what you can find now.
It is passed the return date for the laptop, this option was an afterthought, I’m not planning on upgrading passed 1080 144hz anytime soon as I don’t have a need. I just want to confirm whether this usb c port will support it or not, I know there are different speeds ranging from 5gbps to 20, but I think mine is on the lower end

aplascencia

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
USB 3.2 Type-C is an industry standard, it does not offer any higher or lower bandwidth depending on manufacturer model's ports.

it would only be the cable or adapter you choose that limits your available resolution and refresh rate.
I’m confused because I was under the impression there are different speeds of the port itself, I founds this, and going off of this I believe I’m only at 5Gps, meanwhile DP needs about 10+ I believe.

USB 3.2 versions
New nameOld nameOriginal nameSuperSpeed nameMax speed
USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 N/AUSB 3.2 SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps20Gbps
USB 3.2 Gen 2USB 3.1 Gen 2USB 3.1SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps10Gbps
USB 3.2 Gen 1USB 3.1 Gen 1USB 3.0SuperSpeed USB5Gbps

if your posted manufacturer specs are correct then even at 3.0/5Gbps you should still be able to output 1440p @ 120Hz, even that could possibly be overclocked a bit through custom resolution options.
so 1080p @ 144Hz should be even easier to reach with the proper cable/adapter.

USB 3.2 Type-C with no generation label included means 20Gbps.
if yours does state "3.2/3.1 Gen 1" or "3.0" then you are limited to 5Gbps, but that is not true "3.2" industry standard.