[SOLVED] Is there any way to make an RTX 2070 (mobile) Max-Q to run with better FPS stability at high frame rates?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
PC Specs:
i7 8750H
(2667Mhz)16GB RAM (to be upgraded to 32GB)
(Main Storage) - 1TB SSHD (to be Upgraded to either 1TB or 2TB SSD)
iGPU - Intel UHD 630
GPU - RTX 2070 Mobile Max-Q

Laptop Design: Alienware M15 - Mounted on a Fan deck

I've heard of things where people use programs to get better performance out of their components and get better CPU, thermal, Graphics performance however (this may be something I need to learn) I currently don't get doing things like undervolting (safely) so I have avoided doing it for now. It has been annoying though having to deal with fairly frequent frame lag and I have determined it's not my CPU (normally running around 20% - 30% load). I do admit it could simply be lack of RAM to keep performance smooth 90% early game but later tends to dip to 80%. My thermals normally do report an average of 60 degrees on my Graphics card and the CPU thermal recording is often bugged (results from Alienware Command Center) so I dont think it would be a thermal issue. Finally I have noticed that my SSHD tends to have latency and high response spikes (around 100ms to 500ms at worst but mostly sticks around 50ms and lower) however I have tried defragging my SSHD, Performance boosting using various programs like CCleaner, Razer Cortex and even doing a system reset none of which seemed to do much.

Any tips or hints?
(Do note in the Command Center although it has the Overclock button it reports N/A on the Overclock button which I'm pretty sure means it cannot be Overclocked.)

Solution
Total CPU utilization is not an indication that there's no problem, outside of it being close to 100%. A single thread could be tying up the game.

I'd check what the CPU frequency is over time when running these games, especially when these spikes happen. You may be able to enable overlays using MSI Afterburner or log the data using HWiNFO.
Total CPU utilization is not an indication that there's no problem, outside of it being close to 100%. A single thread could be tying up the game.

I'd check what the CPU frequency is over time when running these games, especially when these spikes happen. You may be able to enable overlays using MSI Afterburner or log the data using HWiNFO.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS