Is this a good motherboard?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
Gaming and possibly video editing I couldn't find the board on pcpartpicker but link for parts

That’s a nice build.

Are you planning to overclock your CPU?

Also, may I suggest changing your RAM to a 3200MHz kit?

About the linked motherboard, it IS nice, but are you sure you want to pay extra for a WIFI board? Gaming on a wired connection is much better for online multiplayer. Or is there another reason you want a WIFI board?

That’s a nice build.

Are you planning to overclock your CPU?

Also, may I suggest changing your RAM to a 3200MHz kit?

About the linked motherboard, it IS nice, but are you sure you want to pay extra for a WIFI board? Gaming on a wired connection is much better for online multiplayer. Or is there another reason you want a WIFI board?
If I don't get a wifi board I will be getting a wifi adapter as I can't run an ethernet cable through my house and I plan to OC my ram and cpu would that be a good idea?

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
If I don't get a wifi board I will be getting a wifi adapter as I can't run an ethernet cable through my house and I plan to OC my ram and cpu would that be a good idea?

Overclocking that CPU is a cost-efficient way to compete with the more expensive 2700X, so I am behind you on that.

As for overclocking the RAM, I cannot speak to that. I have overclocked plenty of CPU’s and GPU’s before but never RAM. I will defer to someone else on that topic, even though I can say for sure that Ryzen processors do benefit significantly from increased RAM speeds.

What is your motherboard budget?

Overclocking that CPU is a cost-efficient way to compete with the more expensive 2700X, so I am behind you on that.

As for overclocking the RAM, I cannot speak to that. I have overclocked plenty of CPU’s and GPU’s before but never RAM. I will defer to someone else on that topic, even though I can say for sure that Ryzen processors do benefit significantly from increased RAM speeds.

What is your motherboard budget?
I've only got a 2700 budget (American) and yeah I am gonna watch stuff so I don't fry my CPU lol...rather not waste all that money just for it to die from being overclocked

Reactions: davew1860

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If you have no experience OCing RAM you might just want to buy a 3200 MHz kit that is listed by the RAM manufacturer as compatible with whichever MB you finally decide to buy.
3200 MHz seems to be the best speed from a performance per dollar aspect with current Ryzen 2000 CPU based systems.
OCing RAM above the rated speed takes quite a bit of time and a lot of patience.
I spent around 16-20 hours OCing my RAM to 3400 MHz with tighter timings testing it after each change. I also had to clear my cmos more times than I care to admit while doing it.

If you have no experience OCing RAM you might just want to buy a 3200 MHz kit that is listed by the RAM manufacturer as compatible with whichever MB you finally decide to buy.
3200 MHz seems to be the best speed from a performance per dollar aspect with current Ryzen 2000 CPU based systems.
OCing RAM above the rated speed takes quite a bit of time and a lot of patience.
I spent around 16-20 hours OCing my RAM to 3400 MHz with tighter timings testing it after each change. I also had to clear my cmos more times than I care to admit while doing it.
Alright fixed what would you say is best? wifi motherboard or no and if so wifi adapter or card? cause I thought maybe adapter would be better but a lot of builds I see have wifi cards so which would you say?

Honestly if I needed wifi, I would probably get a MB that came with wifi.
I have my PC wired so that wasn't something I researched when upgrading to my current rig.
I see but the issue is a lot of WiFi motherboards are super expensive is my whole issue (besides the one I currently got chosen but since it has no reviews and some have reported it died in a few months I am abit worried)

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
Alright fixed what would you say is best? wifi motherboard or no and if so wifi adapter or card? cause I thought maybe adapter would be better but a lot of builds I see have wifi cards so which would you say?

If I had to use WIFI, I would also get a motherboard that has it.

As for your price concern, you could consider buying a B450 chipset motherboard. Personally, that’s what I bought because it is overclockable but does not support two video cards.

If I had to use WIFI, I would also get a motherboard that has it.

As for your price concern, you could consider buying a B450 chipset motherboard. Personally, that’s what I bought because it is overclockable but does not support two video cards.
Alright I can get a cheap ASROCK board OR get an expensive ASUS board (I can squeeze a little more money out if the ASUS is worth it)

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
Reactions: DMAN999
I think I am gonna go with the crosshair seems very worth the money and the cons of the crosshair kind of make me go "eh ok" but thank you for all the help I almost bought a board that was gonna die in a few months this is why I am very happy I do my research ALSO this is a weird question but would it be better to downgrade to 16GB of RAM for now? since I hear a lot of games don't use the RAM it says you need and If I want 32 or 64 I can upgrade later let me know what you think!

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
I don’t know of a single game that uses anything close to 16GB of memory. Having said that, 32GB seems like overkill to me, unless you are a very serious enthusiast. For example, Battlefield V, which is a very demanding game, won’t use more than about 9GB of memory on my rig.

I don’t know of a single game that uses anything close to 16GB of memory. Having said that, 32GB seems like overkill to me, unless you are a very serious enthusiast. For example, Battlefield V, which is a very demanding game, won’t use more than about 9GB of memory on my rig.
Alright so go with 16 GB and then upgrade to 32 if it starts to slow down?

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
Alright so go with 16 GB and then upgrade to 32 if it starts to slow down?

Yeah, go with 16GB. I doubt you’ll need to upgrade that for a few years.

Also remember to get 3200MHz sticks. I wouldn’t worry about manually overclocking memory manually, unless you are a very serious enthusiast.

Yeah, go with 16GB. I doubt you’ll need to upgrade that for a few years.

Also remember to get 3200MHz sticks. I wouldn’t worry about manually overclocking memory manually, unless you are a very serious enthusiast.
Alright thanks so much for all the help I almost bought a board that would have crashed on me in a few months I've learnt my lesson DON'T cheap out on hardware to save a buck and that 32GB is very overkill for now (with how games have advanced in the next decade 16GB will probs be the standard watch..lol)

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
Alright thanks so much for all the help I almost bought a board that would have crashed on me in a few months I've learnt my lesson DON'T cheap out on hardware to save a buck and that 32GB is very overkill for now (with how games have advanced in the next decade 16GB will probs be the standard watch..lol)

You bet!

You will have a very powerful and stable gaming PC, so please enjoy!