[SOLVED] Is this CPU compatible w/ this MOBO?

Shaggys105

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
Hi! So I have just started getting into computer hardware, and wanted to know if I did my research correctly!
So my plan is to put this,
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor
Into this,
ASROCK A320M-HDV R4.0 Motherboard
Based on what i've found on the internet, I believe these to be compatible with one another, but I wanted to make sure I had it right.
If it was necessary to know, here are my current pc specs,
GPU: Radeon RX 560
Current Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2300x Quadcore
RAM Sticks: 1x8gb XPG Adata

Thank you!

Shaggys105

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
As long as it has BIOS version P2.30 or newer it will recognize the 3700x.
https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-HDV R4.0/index.asp#CPU

If it has an older BIOS version the BIOS would need to be updated (using an older compatible AMD CPU) Before installing the 3700x.

BIOS Versions:
https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-HDV R4.0/index.asp#BIOS

Okay, I didn't know about that, thanks.
So I found out my mobo currently has P2.00 right now. I see a few warnings about downloading the newer versions, too. Is it safe to download just P3.70, skipping the ones inbetween?

Okay, I didn't know about that, thanks.
So I found out my mobo currently has P2.00 right now. I see a few warnings about downloading the newer versions, too. Is it safe to download just P3.70, skipping the ones inbetween?
yes

your current RAM config and the 3700x will be sub-par at best as you'll be running in single-channel mode and will hamper your performance considerably

Go to the bios page. and look. On my ASRock AB350 Pro 4, I had to download what they called a bridge bios before I could get to the higher cpu's. I don't see that on yours, but be sure to look up the minimum version you need for your cpu, and make sure you read the requirements before you flash the bios. Also, they more than likely will have you install a chipset driver of some kind. Just be sure to read and all should be fine. However, I would suggest make sure you are either plugged into a UPS or that at least your weather is calm before you flash the bios. If your system would power down you could brick your board if it powers off during the flash.

If you don't have the new cpu, I wouldn't flash it yet as they say don't do it with the older cpus. I think the 3000 series are labeled "Matisse". If I'm right, it looks like you probably want to flash to 2.3. Once it posts and boots up, shut down, swap the CPU physically, get it to boot, then after that go ahead and flash to the newest version.

Reactions: Shaggys105
Buying/mixing single RAM sticks can lead to issues; best to get a 16 GB kit, so that sticks are known to work together..

I'd also look for a B450 board with BIOS flashback, so that no CPU is needed to flash the BIOS to the latest. (IMO, still a gamble hoping every mainboard still in distro will support RYzen 3000, especially A320 boards, unless you know a particular board's model or revision supports your desired CPU....(terms like 'should' and 'supposed to' are of little comfort when you are the one hit with restocking fees when returning items.

Reactions: Shaggys105

Shaggys105

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
Buying/mixing single RAM sticks can lead to issues; best to get a 16 GB kit, so that sticks are known to work together..

I'd also look for a B450 board with BIOS flashback, so that no CPU is needed to flash the BIOS to the latest. (IMO, still a gamble hoping every mainboard still in distro will support RYzen 3000, especially A320 boards, unless you know a particular board's model or revision supports your desired CPU....(terms like 'should' and 'supposed to' are of little comfort when you are the one hit with restocking fees when returning items.

Would that b450 board be compatible with my Ryzen 3 2300X?