Question Is this ethernet wall jack supposed to work like this? (Because it doesn’t)

gijsbartman

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I’ve got my cables set up like this
And I was wondering if this wall jack is even supposed to work like this. The cable coming from below is connected to my modem, the cable going up is connected to my pc. Whenever I connect a cable directly to the wall jack it does work. But it never passes through to my pc. So my question is, is this wall jack supposed to pass through? What things should I check to make sure everything is set up right? I already redid the wiring 3 times, and since it does work coming from the modem to the outlet I can’t imagine that would be the problem.

Edit: quick addition, I have tried switching the cables. As in wiring the cable from below to the lower part of the wall jack and the cable to upstairs to the upper part of the wall jack, and vice versa. Both configurations got the same results, no connection upstairs and the outlet did work.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
From your description it appears you have 2 completely different cables. If you ignore the jack and pretend it is a actual cable you have 1 cable between this room and say room a. You have a second cable between this room and room b.

Room a and room b are not connected.

If your goal is to connect room a to room b you could just use a short ethernet cable and plug it into jack. What you have in effect done is splice the 2 cables together.

gijsbartman

Reputable
May 1, 2019
From your description it appears you have 2 completely different cables. If you ignore the jack and pretend it is a actual cable you have 1 cable between this room and say room a. You have a second cable between this room and room b.

Room a and room b are not connected.
So there is essentially no use for having 2 connections (not the outputs but the actual wiring) as you can see in the picture I sent? Or is there another usage for that?

If your goal is to connect room a to room b you could just use a short ethernet cable and plug it into jack. What you have in effect done is splice the 2 cables together.
Any suggestions on how to do this in a clean manner? The cable should go back into the wall. Or (not sure if this is dumb thinking) do you mean using a short cable to occupy both outputs, so it goes out in one and in in the other making a loop?

Any suggestions on how to do this in a clean manner?
Wall socket has 2 lan ports.
Both cables from those ports should go to your switch (or modem, if it has router and switch built in).

If you have one cable going to modem and one cable going to pc, then between them you have no connection.
You have wired it wrong.
To pass signal from modem to pc via 2 port lan socket, you'd have to plug ethernet patch cable with both ends into the socket.

Last edited:
Reactions: gijsbartman