[SOLVED] Is this normal 6800xt low gpu usage, lower than expect frames.

Ilikegaming

Prominent
Feb 14, 2021
Hi, I've seen and read a lot of similar threads and posts from this site and others, with similar issues but not exactly the same.
I think my system is running fine, but I primarily play CSGO and would like some advice on performance issues.
I recently upgraded my GPU from a 1080ti Fe, to a MSI 6800XT, with a fresh windows install.

My current system specs are:

CPU: i5 10600k
MOBO: Aorus z490 elite AC
RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb 3200mhz (XMP enabled)
GPU: MSI 6800XT
SSD: 2X Samsung 860 pro
PSU: Corsair TX 650m

Basically, when playing CSGO I'm noticing I'm getting lower fps than I would have gotten with my previous GPU, I'm also noticing, I'm getting low CPU usage usually around 25-30%, and fluctuating GPU usage usually around 60-80%, my GPU core clock also fluctuates a lot and never reaches it's peak clock usually always under 2000MHz and my main concern is it never drawing over 100w usually sitting around 30-60w.

I'm just curious is this normal? shouldn't I expect more fps? the fps isn't bad by all means, but it's fluctuates any where from 250-600 fps.
I don't get any actually stutters but the frames seem really inconsistent, every benchmark I've seen don't really have the same inconsistencies and preform a lot better with averages of 500-600 fps when I'm only hitting those numbers rarely.
I'm playing at 1440p, I've tried both low and high setting and both run about the same, there's hardly any difference.

I've tried some things to see if they would help such as, raising my minimum clock frequency to the boost clock which I believe is 2250Mhz, also increasing my power limit and I'm getting the same performance and same usage results.

Any ideas? or is this normal and I'm just being dumb, I thought the card would be drawing more power, I know CSGO isn't an intensive game by any means, but I really thought I'd see a more consistent improvement over my older GPU.

Any constructive feedback is appreciated.

Solution
Bottleneck calculators = poison. Forget you even saw that. Delete the term from your memory banks.
They exist to sell you crap/get you to spend through FUD. You can end up forever chasing it, just like the futureproofing concept.
Some people are endlessly chasing that mess and have forgotten to just enjoy the games, or don't enjoy them as much as they could. Don't end up like that. Those fps counters/monitors are more of the same thing.

Did these other folks share the rest of their hardware setups, drivers they're running, any changes they might've made in bios, changes they might've made in Radeon Settings, internet connection, operating temperatures, all the 3rd party software they're running, etc.
It's a lot, but it all has an...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
CSGO is largely cpu single thread bound(many games are) and uses at most, 3-4 threads out of 12 the 10600K has. Of course it would look low, the devs didn't code it to utilize more than that.
The game isn't very big on gpu resources either - a 1080Ti was already overkill for the 'runs on a potato' game. Performance is still largely driven by the cpu, even if you did step up to 1440p.
Normal for sky high fps when nothing's really going on, you're face to face with a wall(s), staring at the sky, or you drop dead. Ditto for fps to be not as high when bullets are a' flying and grenades are a' exploding. All variables to take into account.
The game is always online, so internet connection will also affect performance.
Some maps are easier/harder to render than others, so that's another variable.

If Windows was clean installed, I trust the mobo and gpu drivers were updated afterwards?

Ilikegaming

Prominent
Feb 14, 2021
CSGO is largely cpu single thread bound(many games are) and uses at most, 3-4 threads out of 12 the 10600K has. Of course it would look low, the devs didn't code it to utilize more than that.
The game isn't very big on gpu resources either - a 1080Ti was already overkill for the 'runs on a potato' game. Performance is still largely driven by the cpu, even if you did step up to 1440p.
Normal for sky high fps when nothing's really going on, you're face to face with a wall(s), staring at the sky, or you drop dead. Ditto for fps to be not as high when bullets are a' flying and grenades are a' exploding. All variables to take into account.
The game is always online, so internet connection will also affect performance.
Some maps are easier/harder to render than others, so that's another variable.

If Windows was clean installed, I trust the mobo and gpu drivers were updated afterwards?

Thanks for the reply, yeah played CSGO for year I do know it's more CPU intensive, but I'm seeing others with the same CPU and GPU combo getting a lot more consistent frames, I'm sure I shouldn't be getting lower fps than I did with my older GPU, unless it's a bottleneck issues I've seen that my CPU is bottlenecked slightly in some games by about 10%-15% but probably only losing around 20 fps according to this.

https://www.cpuagent.com/cpu/intel-...eck/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt?res=2&quality=ultra

And also I'm getting these inconsistent frames on offline matches with no bots just me on the map, other games I am indeed seeing a benefit from the card, and am still happy of the purchase regardless, but with CS being my main game I would have like to see the performance I've seen in other benchmarks I've seen that are using this GPU and CPU combo.
To answer your last question yes with my fresh install I did update the bios firmware and download all the latest chipset drivers and reenabled XMP, but left it up to windows to get all the audio and LAN drivers. I don't if that's the right thing to do but never had a probably doing that before.
Also I am currently using the latest GPU drivers available at the moment. Thanks for the input though any input is much appreciated.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my post, I do have the latest bios version, version:F22 - 11/23/2021
And my GPU has version: 22.1.2 - 18/01/2022
Just try more games, and try to find more gpu intensive titles, 6800XT is a beefy card, it should go through games like butter, but that depends on the optimization as well.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Bottleneck calculators = poison. Forget you even saw that. Delete the term from your memory banks.
They exist to sell you crap/get you to spend through FUD. You can end up forever chasing it, just like the futureproofing concept.
Some people are endlessly chasing that mess and have forgotten to just enjoy the games, or don't enjoy them as much as they could. Don't end up like that. Those fps counters/monitors are more of the same thing.

Did these other folks share the rest of their hardware setups, drivers they're running, any changes they might've made in bios, changes they might've made in Radeon Settings, internet connection, operating temperatures, all the 3rd party software they're running, etc.
It's a lot, but it all has an effect - if you can't match what some of these folks are doing to a T, you shouldn't expect the same.

If there are no problems in other games, then there is likely no problems with this game either... on the off-chance that your install has corrupt or missing files, then you reinstall it.

Restart the PC, wait 5 mins, do a userbenchmark run - close the browser BEFORE you run it - and post the public link here.

Solution