[SOLVED] Is this power supply good enough?

Mar 3, 2022
Hi! I built a pc sometime ago and now I am thinking of upgrading it.
I am currently using a GT 1030 and thinking of upgrading it to an RTX 3060 triple fan 12 GIG.
I calculated my power usage by
Cooler Master's power supply wattage calculator and the required PSU wattage comes out to be 363 watts only.
I am on a tight budget and don't want to invest into a new power supply so will this PSU work? I mean technically it should as the power requirement is 363 watts only?

also why does Nvidia's website recommend a 550 watt psu with rtx 3060 when it only consumes about 180 watts of power?

MY SPECS-
CPU - i5 10400f (running on stock cooler for now)
MOBO - MSI h410m-a pro (micro atx board)
MEMORY - 1 stick of 8 gig (will buy one more, soon)
STORAGE - 2x 7200 rpm HDDs and one 250 gigs nvme drive
POWER SUPPLY - Cooler master MWE 450 v2 230v 80 plus bronze certified
I have a cheap cabinet with 4 rgb fans (not PWM and they draw very less power anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
This psu sizing chart is useful:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
It suggests 550w.
One reason is that while normal power draw may be modest, 3000 series cards can have short power draw spikes that a cheap psu can't handle.

Consider a quality psu upgrade as a long term investment.
Look for something in the 650/750w area; the cost differential is usually small.
The psu will only consume the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Look for a psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic focus and corsair rm are a good place to start.
Yes, you will pay more.
This psu sizing chart is useful:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
It suggests 550w.
One reason is that while normal power draw may be modest, 3000 series cards can have short power draw spikes that a cheap psu can't handle.

Consider a quality psu upgrade as a long term investment.
Look for something in the 650/750w area; the cost differential is usually small.
The psu will only consume the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Look for a psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic focus and corsair rm are a good place to start.
Yes, you will pay more.

Reactions: XOKOMOKO
Solution
Mar 3, 2022
I wouldn't even want to use that without a GPU. CM PSU quality is very hit and miss. This one isn't all that expensive, and decent enough quality.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-03 09:31 EST-0500

Just watching the customer reviews of this PSU you recommended scared me, also, in India all my friends use cooler master and even the cheapest PSUs from cooler master have never failed on me or anyone I know, corsair one's do fail sometimes, both the brands have good quality PSU's and I don't think using this PSU without a GPU will cause any problems.
Anyways im gonna buy the mwe 650 one now, thanks for the help

TRENDING THREADS