Question Is this PSU cappable of that rig?

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Hi guys

Finally I managed to save some money and want to buy a new pc with those specs :

Intel core i5-9400F
GTX 1660 TI
Asus Prime B365M-K
2x 4GB 2400 or 2666 ( Have to take a look on those )
1 x SSD 250GB samsung

I am not sure weather or not I should spent more cash on the pc for the PSU since with the above components I am already at my money limit.
Thing is though that I have a spare evga 600w b1 80+ bronze psu ( like 1 month old ) , will that be capable to handle my system just fine ?
I did my reasearch and on the Nvidia and Intel's site cpu and gpu use about 65w TDP for the i5 and 120w for the 1660 ti I know those numbers arent the most those components will draw but still a rough estimate.
Lets say that the i5 draws like 95 instead of 65 and the 1660 ti around 250 instead of 120 ( going crazy here ) thats like 350 W + 1 ssd ram and such it wont go more than 400-450 watts EVER.
I know the Evga 600b1 is a low tier psu but it can output up to 588 W -49A 12V rail thats like 130 + watts I will ever need.

So should I get a new psu or will I be fine with this one for that exact build ? ( Of course if I invest more later on on gpu I will most likely upgrade ) but for that system isnt it "decent" ?
Also is that build in general any good ? I thought about ryzen 5 2600 but I only want this machine for gaming so the extra threads are irrelevant to me , also saw many benchmarks and the i5 9400f is quite a bit better ++ same prince on my country +- 10 euro.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That will be fine for a while. But you should plan on purchasing a better power supply in a year or two. If you can stretch it, you should probably look at getting 2x8GB of memory.

In this case using an oversized power supply is a good thing, it will keep the power supply cooler which should help a lot. Low quality supplies tend to get wonky at their upper limits, but keeping it solidly in the middle is exactly what you want to do for longevity.

Usually the big failure points in cheap power supplies is cheap main capacitors that don't have a long life or have a low temperature rating.

Reactions: green_salad

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
That will be fine for a while. But you should plan on purchasing a better power supply in a year or two. If you can stretch it, you should probably look at getting 2x8GB of memory.

In this case using an oversized power supply is a good thing, it will keep the power supply cooler which should help a lot. Low quality supplies tend to get wonky at their upper limits, but keeping it solidly in the middle is exactly what you want to do for longevity.

Usually the big failure points in cheap power supplies is cheap main capacitors that don't have a long life or have a low temperature rating.

Great so if I dont overclock and such with that build I will be good for a few years ? Thats all I wanted to know , I will most likely upgrade later on when I get the money. But all that matters is that I will be able to enjoy it the moment I have it :) , thanks