[SOLVED] Is this PSU strong enough to power my PC?

Dec 29, 2022
This is the PSU I'm about to use; https://aerocool.io/product/lux-550w/ and the picture below is my build with 4x12cm A-RGB fans and 1 Wi-Fi card PCIe x1. People keep saying to get 600W but I really on a budget now , so what do you think?
Screenshot-15.png

Last edited:
Solution
2 years warranty. Does it means a red flag or...?
----------------Blazing red----------------

You really do not want to buy a cheap psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability;
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it...

Lutfij

Titan
Is the PSU brand new or used? If the latter, how old is the unit?

People keep saying to get 600W but I really on a budget now
Wattage isn't the only thing you look for when shopping for a PSU for a build. You should be looking into a reliably built PSU. Yes wattage is necessary when it comes to powering the build but if the PSU is built with bottom of the barrel componentry, the PSU can knock out other components in your build(or anything it's hooked up to) when there's a mishap with the power from the wall outlet.

650W would be a good headroom for a couple of generations worth of builds in the same case, with the same PSU. You're reducing the headroom with a 550W unit. Where are you located and what is the budget for your PSU purchase? Preferred site for purchase?

Dec 29, 2022

Wattage isn't the only thing you look for when shopping for a PSU for a build. You should be looking into a reliably built PSU. Yes wattage is necessary when it comes to powering the build but if the PSU is built with bottom of the barrel componentry, the PSU can knock out other components in your build(or anything it's hooked up to) when there's a mishap with the power from the wall outlet.

650W would be a good headroom for a couple of generations worth of builds in the same case, with the same PSU. You're reducing the headroom with a 550W unit. Where are you located and what is the budget for your PSU purchase? Preferred site for purchase?
A brand new.

Dec 29, 2022

No more than $50, and I live in Indonesia with online shopping site available called "Shopee" or "Tokopedia". I could use some of my savings though.

How long is the warranty on that psu?
It looks to be a cheap, older gen psu.
Look for a psu with at least a 5 year warranty, 7 or 10 is better.
Your cpu is capable of running a much stronger graphics card in the future, so I would buy perhaps 750w up front.

Dec 29, 2022
How long is the warranty on that psu?
It looks to be a cheap, older gen psu.
Look for a psu with at least a 5 year warranty, 7 or 10 is better.
Your cpu is capable of running a much stronger graphics card in the future, so I would buy perhaps 750w up front.

----------------Blazing red----------------

You really do not want to buy a cheap psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability;
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Cheaply made group-regulated PSU, a definite no for a gaming rig. While you may have budget restrictions, you have chosen the worst possible place to make a downgrade. You can certainly come down from an RTX 2060 and there's never a responsible scenario in which you pay for addressable RGB fans at the expense of getting a poor quality PSU.

Reactions: bbyaga455
Dec 29, 2022
Alright guys, I took your advice and ends up with most expensive PSU my wallet could do;

MSI MAG 550BN 80+Bronze 5 years warranty. Tell me what you think.