Question Is this temperature safe for the Ryzen 5 3600?

Xondervul

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
Okay so I just ran a system stability stress test using Aida64 for the first time, (I stressed the CPU, FPU, cache and system memory) and my CPU temp immediately shot up to like 76-78c the very instant that I clicked start. I ran it for 5 minutes straight and the temps stayed in the mid 70's but peaked to 87.8C. I'm also using the Wraith MAX cooler with the stock thermal paste. Are these temperatures anything to be worried about? When I game the CPU usually stays around the mid 60's and will peak into the low 70's (like 72-74c) Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. :)

The temps are normal...somewhere around 85c the cpu probably started throttling to protect itself. If it was me I would replace the stock cooler with something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black...it will keeps temps down better than the stock cooler and will allow the chip to boost to higher clocks while gaming.

Xondervul

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
The temps are normal...somewhere around 85c the cpu probably started throttling to protect itself. If it was me I would replace the stock cooler with something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black...it will keeps temps down better than the stock cooler and will allow the chip to boost to higher clocks while gaming.
I'm not using the stock cooler I'm using the Wraith MAX cooler which I purchased separately. Also, as I've said in the OP, the CPU usually stays in the mid 60's during gaming and on rare occasions peak into the low 70's. Is this okay?

I'm not using the stock cooler I'm using the Wraith MAX cooler which I purchased separately. Also, as I've said in the OP, the CPU usually stays in the mid 60's during gaming and on rare occasions peak into the low 70's. Is this okay?

You shouldn't be going over 70-75c with the wraith max even under full load...like I said above 85c it's likely your going to start throttling. My 3600 never hits those temps on a slightly better Prism cooler. It could be due to your computer case...how's the airflow ? Does your cpu fan ramp up with temp ? If you have good airflow in and out of your case you should remove the heat sink and clean the contact area and the cpu with alcohol and coffee filters then apply some quality thermal paste.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
you need to look up how Precision Boost works on ryzen 3000 CPUs.

it works similar to how GPUs boost. It will Keep boosting as long as temps are low and voltage is high enough.(voltage is stupid high on ryzen 3000 cpus) Further you are from your max temps the higher it will boost across all core. In theory if you have decent enough cooler it will boost to 4.2Ghz across all core on stock. it really benefits people with expensive cooling solutions.

As I mentioned 3000 CPUs have stupid high voltages, 3600x has 1.42v stock voltage. it automatically adjusts Max voltages depending on temps. On a decent cooler like evo 212 it manages to stay just over 4ghz all core and uses about 1.36v. 1.36v on air cooler is pretty risky but according to AMD, it's fine as long as it under 85c . (CPU will automatically lower Max core and other voltages if it's running too hot)

You can make your cpu run cooler with better all-core results if you overclock. Most 3600x will run stable at 4.3 GHz at 1.3275v. but it might affect single core results because it needs about 1.4v to boost over 4.3 ghz on single core. (running single core on high voltages won't give you as high temps as all-core)

I'm not sure what's the sweet spot for 3600 in terms of voltages and frequencies, look it up online its most likely same as 3600x. Watch this guide if you are gonna overclock. And yes you need to LOWER core voltage (from 1.4v to 1.3275) on ryzen 3000 cpus for best overclocking results.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
somewhere around 85c the cpu probably started throttling to protect itself.

Max temp on most Ryzen 3000 CPUs is 95C, by max thats actually the temp where it throttles. It shuts down if the throttling doesn't cool it off and it keeps climbing.

While I don't love running a CPU that hot (85) according to AMD you could and it would be fine "forever". The reality is most laptop CPUs which are made of the same silicon as desktop ones are bouncing off the throttle limit under heavy tasks and not failing quickly either. Their newest GPUs (Navi) are designed to clock up and continue until any thermal sensor hits the limit and then just bounce off it.

In the OP's case a stability test hitting 85 is not a cause for concern, especially that hes noted in real life it doesn't get over the mid 70's. Its more than fine.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
While I don't love running a CPU that hot (85) according to AMD you could and it would be fine "forever".

As long as someone doesn't mind running at the baseclock freq 24/7...you are 100% correct that 85c is fine. If someone is expecting any kind of boost above baseclock they wont see it at 85c. These Ryzen chips are extremely temp sensitive and mine at least (both my 2700x and 3600) really take a nose dive in frequency above 75c. I guess depending on how you look at it the Ryzen cpus are permanently throttling...it just depends on how much throttling you can tolerate vs your cooling budget.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
As long as someone doesn't mind running at the baseclock freq 24/7...you are 100% correct that 85c is fine. If someone is expecting any kind of boost above baseclock they wont see it at 85c. These Ryzen chips are extremely temp sensitive and mine at least (both my 2700x and 3600) really take a nose dive in frequency above 75c. I guess depending on how you look at it the Ryzen cpus are permanently throttling...it just depends on how much throttling you can tolerate vs your cooling budget.

I'm not sure what you're doing, but again, Ryzen CPUs aren't throttling till their max temp at 95c. If they are running at 85c whether its at 2ghz or 5 ghz has no bearing on how long it will last. If you're pushing a lot of voltage on the other hand to do it, that can affect the lifespan. But again voltage is not specifically proportional to clock speed.

What are you using to measure your temperatures? Because one of the temp sensors commonly used by some programs has a 20c offset, so if you're seeing throttling at 75c its because you're actually hitting 95c. Or, maybe your VRMs are overheating on your motherboard, that will do it as well.

I have both an 1800X which I got launch day and a 3700X. Neither is throttling at 75c and both are able to hit their boost clocks and use features like XFR over that temp.

....If they are running at 85c whether its at 2ghz or 5 ghz has no bearing on how long it will last...

Or, maybe your VRMs are overheating on your motherboard, that will do it as well.

I have both an 1800X which I got launch day and a 3700X. Neither is throttling at 75c and both are able to hit their boost clocks and use features like XFR over that temp.

Not sure where how "long a cpu will last" entered the thread...I even agreed with you that the cpu is fine at 87.8c...as long as the OP is fine running near the base clock. He was specific about running a full load and the temps he was seeing reached 87.8c which is too hot imo due to the cpu clocking down towards or at base clock. This link provides insight - https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3492-ryzen-cpu-thermals-matter-coolers-and-cases

The OP was asking about cpu temps not vrm's and didn't mention it as a potential problem area. As far as my system...mine are nice and cool at 50c running a 100% load.

Regarding boost freq I've run both the 2700x and 3600 under sustained 100% cpu load on water cooling and they do not hit anywhere near the boost frequency under an all core load. Im looking at my 3600 at 3.9ghz clock @67c across all cores right now on a 100% load as i type this...maybe I misunderstood you, but if you can get anywhere near boost clock speeds at 100% load please send me a PM as I don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Not sure where how "long a cpu will last" entered the thread...I even agreed with you that the cpu is fine at 87.8c...as long as the OP is fine running near the base clock. He was specific about running a full load and the temps he was seeing reached 87.8c which is too hot imo due to the cpu clocking down towards or at base clock. This link provides insight - https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3492-ryzen-cpu-thermals-matter-coolers-and-cases

The OP was asking about cpu temps not vrm's and didn't mention it as a potential problem area. As far as my system...mine are nice and cool at 50c running a 100% load.

Regarding boost freq I've run both the 2700x and 3600 under sustained 100% cpu load on water cooling and they do not hit anywhere near the boost frequency under an all core load. Im looking at my 3600 at 3.9ghz clock @67c across all cores right now on a 100% load as i type this...maybe I misunderstood you, but if you can get anywhere near boost clock speeds at 100% load please send me a PM as I don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

This is not jacking the OP's thread if its relevant to his question, which it is. He was concerned about temperatures and their effect on his CPU.

I have seen the test you linked. Throttling is NOT the cpu running at base clock as shown in that review. Throttling due to temperature is when the CPU is exceeding its thermal limits. a CPU base clocked at 3.8 ghz that is managing to boost nearly 4ghz across all cores at 84c is NOT throttling, even if that CPU is capable of faster speeds (under boost which is NOT continuous only temporary) if its cooler. Maybe this was a miscommunication between us, or a misunderstanding of terminology, but there is a massive difference between a CPU throttling to protect itself and a CPU not boosting due to thermal range. Hence telling the OP that his CPU is throttling to protect itself at 84c, is very much wrong, it is not. You are correct as in its not the CPU's maximum potential, but its not being handicapped either.

As for the VRM comment I was referring directly to you and your assertion that your CPUs are "taking a nose dive above 75c", because again, they aren't. The link you posted shows a variance in boost frequency of about 25mhz above and below 75c, thats hardly a "nose dive".

In the end the OP's CPU only managed these temps under a stress test unrealistic load. It never got anywhere near actual throttling temps which would be concerning over time, and in real life he has temperatures that keep it within the range for it to boost and operate properly, so he has nothing to worry about.

Regarding your final comment I agree, irrelevant to the OP so we can take it offline later.