Is this Thunderbird-C 1G fake?

G

I've got a Thunderbird 1G with Abit KT7A. The lable on the CPU is "A1000...C", which indicates it's C revision 133*7.5. But when first boot up, the mobo recognizes the CPU as Thunderbird 750 100*7.5. :|
Although I can set the clock to 133 and run smoothly at the detected voltage 1.75V, I'm still afraid of being screwed.
Anybody can help me?

G

where did you buy it from?

<font color=green>Modern art, is it art? Nope, I realized, some things are just stupid.</font color=green>

G

I'm in Shanghai, PRC. I bought it from a retailer. But, is there any technical way to verify the facticity of this CPU?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That CPU is fine. Read anandtech's article on overclocking on the KT133A motherboards. When computers boot up, they use the default multiplier and the default (usually 100 mhz) bus speed. Your motherboard probably has the bus speed set in the BIOS which is initialized after reading the cpu speed. Once the BIOS is up, it changes the fsb to 133 from 100 and you have a 1000 mhz processor... It's legit.

Really love your peaches wanna shake your tree.

G

I'm now using a downloaded BIOS from Abit's web site. I think it's the most recent version. That doesn't help. :(
Is there any possibility that a Thunderbird-B 750 can run at 133*7.5 flawlessly at 1.75V? BTW, although the SoftMenuIII indicates the core voltage is 1.75V(automatically detected), the HW monitor software shows the core voltage is 1.78V.
I'm a Chinese guy.

G

it all depends on the chip. some will, some wont

your chip is authentic by the way, huxley

AMD. It gets you chicks.

G

Thanks. But how do you make such a conclusion? You know I'm very eager to get ride of the fear that it is fake.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The default fsb on the Abit is 100Mhz i believe. A new bios should support the detection of the "C" and make it 133 by default.

A wise man once said, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also if it was a remarked chip, they would have to rewrite the 750 to 1000 and make the "B" into a "C", sounds like quite a bit of work for price differance. Also wouldnt the cores be made of differant material, like the 750 aluminum core and the 1gig"C" a copper core. I would think its a legitimate chip, just the bios doesnt reconize it right. Flash up to the latest version and find out for sure.

A wise man once said, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

G

The chip you're talking about is almost definately not a fake, the substance the core is made from will tell you this, also, a 750tbird B WILL NOT (and i mean Not) boot up and run smoothly at that sorta speed with that sorta voltage... my Duron 800 is running 1.65V (it says that in the HW monitor) but it's meant to be 1.6, it's just an estimate... it's like CPU speeds, the box says 1000 and you can have a 1008... my Duron is stock at 808Mhz, some are faster some are slower..

But yeah i can risk my entire reputation on that fact, it's definately not a 750 tbird-B... Without a doubt... it's probably just your BIOS or motherboard, i haven't got any prior experience with the Abits but are you sure you have it Jumperfree mode? Try this and get back to me... make sure it's jumperfree all the way so it can detect it properly... you will find it's legit tho... have fun!

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

G

ABIT has no jumper on the board except 1... CLEAR CMOS

that's a characteristic of all Abit boards.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not to stray off topic, but your the first person from China that i've seen on here! :smile:

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

Ahh thanks for that

i got no prior experience with ABit personally... just making an educated guess/assumption...

Still in theory my points should work

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

G

Thanks to all!
Only here could I expect professional discussion.

G

also if you keep the insert key pressed when you turn on the computer it will put all the cmos to default settings. So if you try to overclock and it doesn't boot, you just press the insert key and it will switch to default cmos settings.. Mainly with an ABIT board you never need to open you casing :)

G

Unless I'm wrong you can do it with the insert key and the CMOS jumper.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I don't have any experience of ABIT but the Asus boards do the same. Even with latest BIOS the default post on an Athlon C is 100FSB. The Asus boards have nice features that if they hang on POST due to speed errors, a hard reset (power full off) will allow them to re-post at default speeds/volts. Of course you can jumper them too.

I have a brand new 1333 that posts 1000/100 unless you tell the board to go to 133.

Pete.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

I expect the 'C' athlons should have a new stepping level.
You can use the CPUID utility available from AMD to interrogate your processor to determine which it is.

If you have problems getting CPUID I have a zipped copy which is about 155K let me know on the forum or private message.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by frikkie on 03/28/01 01:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Thanks. But Abit KT7A mobo doesn't have such a jumper to decide FSB. Unlike ASUS mobo, it's totally jumperless.

G

I tested with WCPUID 3.0, which shows "Family 6 Model 4 Stepping ID 2 (Standard)" & "Family 7 Model 4 Stepping ID 2 (Extended)".
Has anybody used WCPUID 3.0 with the old B revision(and C revision as well)? Would you tell me the results?

G

Thanks, frikkie.
I have AMD's "amdcpuid.exe" and "cpuinfo.exe" from their WEB site. But they came into being in June/August, 2000. So I don't expect they can distinguish C and B revisions.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>I tested with WCPUID 3.0, which shows "Family 6 Model 4 Stepping ID 2 (Standard)" & "Family 7 Model 4 Stepping ID 2 (Extended)".</b>
My old TBird 700 (<b>B</b> version) shows exactly the same as yours.