[SOLVED] is Upgrading my G2020 to i3-2120 going to Give me FPS Boost?

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Hey Guys, I have a Pentium G2020 and I wanna Upgrade to i3-2120 , is it going to Give me any FPS Boost in GTA V and IV? (Like 5-10 FPS Boost)?
(Please Don't Ask for Upgrading, just answer)

Solution
You may well be limited by your GT710 graphics card and not the processor.
To the extent that you are limited by cpu capability, I might expect a 10% boost.
not a bad thing if the price is right.

You might want to try this test:
Run your game, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited and a cpu upgrade is in order.
First make sure your mobo supports the CPU you're planning on getting.

I'd definitely go to an i5 (if it's cheap). i5s of that era are a dime a dozen since they're in most office machines that are being retired en-masse.
My employer literally gives me those machines for free. Saves them the e-waste recycling cost.

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
First make sure your mobo supports the CPU you're planning on getting.

I'd definitely go to an i5 (if it's cheap). i5s of that era are a dime a dozen since they're in most office machines that are being retired en-masse.
My employer literally gives me those machines for free. Saves them the e-waste recycling cost.
Hi, I have a Gigabyte H61M-S2PV (REV 2.2) Mobo which Supports it. So can I get 5-10 fps boost?

Hi Wirmaple73. I feel comfortable in stating that you'll achieve higher FPS with an i3 (2C/ 4T) over a Pentium (2C/ 2T). But more importantly you'll achieve much better frame pacing with the i3, as 2 core 2 thread CPUs are known to create stuttering in GTA V. However, the better value would be an i5 (4C/ 4T). For example an i5-3570 (non-K) can be purchased for about $10 more than that i3, on Ebay US. For the money, that's what I would get. As far as guessing how many more FPS you could achieve, there is no way to know because you haven't yet stated your full specs, especially your graphics card. Also, we don't know what resolution you're running.

Btw, a used i7 or LGA 1155 Xeon E3 would likely be too expensive on the used market, but an i5 can be had for a bargain.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

febisfebi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/com...pentium-g2020-2-90ghz/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060

This is about what you could expect to gain. I am guessing you either already have the i3, or are getting for next to nothing.

But if you have the choice, I would definitely drop an i5 in there. They can be had for super cheap, like @rcald2000 I also have 2 of these I got for free also, as they are being discarded en masse regularly. So I can personally assure you they are great, and definitely worth a $20 upgrade. They can handle any AAA title I throw at them with a $200 video card in 1440p ultra, and fps rarely drops below 60, which is really rather amazing considering.

You can get an i5-3470 for $23 right now on ebay.
but also
i5-2400
i5-3330
i5-3340
Will all give similar-ish performance, and are maybe cheap-er. some you may be able to get as cheap as $15, and they will all perform similarly well. A lot better than a dual core.
Most will cost you at least $20 after shipping, so if it were me i'd go with the 3470 for $23
Check out the fps you would get side by side with your old cpu:
https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/com...pentium-g2020-2-90ghz/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060

If you want to see the numbers specifically for your video card you can enter that info on this page:
https://www.gpucheck.com/cpu-benchmark-comparison

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Hi Wirmaple73. I feel comfortable in stating that you'll achieve higher FPS with an i3 (2C/ 4T) over a Pentium (2C/ 2T). But more importantly you'll achieve much better frame pacing with the i3, as 2 core 2 thread CPUs are known to create stuttering in GTA V. However, the better value would be an i5 (4C/ 4T). For example an i5-3570 (non-K) can be purchased for about $10 more than that i3, on Ebay US. For the money, that's what I would get. As far as guessing how many more FPS you could achieve, there is no way to know because you haven't yet stated your full specs, especially your graphics card. Also, we don't know what resolution you're running.

Btw, a used i7 or LGA 1155 Xeon E3 would likely be too expensive on the used market, but an i5 can be had for a bargain.
Hello. Thanks for your Feedback, My PC Specs are

NVIDIA Geforce GT710 (1GB DDR3)
Intel Pentium G2020 (wanna Upgrade to i3-2120)
4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Gigabyte H61M-S2PV REV 2.2

So will I get about 5-10 or More FPS in GTAIV/GTAV?

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Hello. Thanks for your Feedback, My PC Specs are

NVIDIA Geforce GT710 (1GB DDR3)
Intel Pentium G2020 (wanna Upgrade to i3-2120)
4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Gigabyte H61M-S2PV REV 2.2

So will I get about 5-10 or More FPS in GTAIV/GTAV?

Userbenchmark shows 27% gain with the 2120. Which should give you that FPS. What FPS are you getting now and at what graphics settings? Get the i5 as the guys recommended. It will do much better

You may well be limited by your GT710 graphics card and not the processor.
To the extent that you are limited by cpu capability, I might expect a 10% boost.
not a bad thing if the price is right.

You might want to try this test:
Run your game, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited and a cpu upgrade is in order.

Solution

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Yes, you will have a reasonable boost on FPS even with a old low end card since 4 cores (2/4 or 4/4) are the minimum for playing GTAV or even IV. But don't expect a great improvement on gameplay,. It would be probably only playable (20-30fps). Probably you're having something about 10~20FPS now, right?

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Yes, you will have a reasonable boost on FPS even with a old low end card since 4 cores (2/4 or 4/4) are the minimum for playing GTAV or even IV. But don't expect a great improvement on gameplay,. It would be probably only playable (20-30fps). Probably you're having something about 10~20FPS now, right?
No. I'm correctly getting 30-40 FPS with anything set to normal, (Except water and reflection set to high) my res is 1360x768.

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Userbenchmark shows 27% gain with the 2120. Which should give you that FPS. What FPS are you getting now and at what graphics settings? Get the i5 as the guys recommended. It will do much better
I'm correctly getting 30-40 FPS with anything set to normal, (Except water and reflection set to high) my res is 1360x768.
(Also I OCed the GT710 a little with MSI Afterburner :) )

InvalidError

Titan
4GB of RAM is pretty low, expect frequent stuttering from swapfile usage. If you aren't planning to dump this system any time soon, you may want to seriously consider bumping it to at least 8GB. If your current 4GB is a single DIMM, upgrading to 2x4GB would give you another ~10% extra performance from having working dual-channel.

Reactions: King_V

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
4GB of RAM is pretty low, expect frequent stuttering from swapfile usage. If you aren't planning to dump this system any time soon, you may want to seriously consider bumping it to at least 8GB. If your current 4GB is a single DIMM, upgrading to 2x4GB would give you another ~10% extra performance from having working dual-channel.
My old PC Lasted 10 years and I have just bought this little Cheap baby 2-3 Monthes ago, I think I'll use it for another 5-8 Years (Or Maybe More if it survives longer XD )
Also I have 2 Slots of 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM, Means 2x2 RAM.

InvalidError

Titan
My old PC Lasted 10 years and I have just bought this little Cheap baby 2-3 Monthes ago, I think I'll use it for another 5-8 Years (Or Maybe More if it survives longer XD )
Heh. I haven't had a PC with only 4GB of RAM in 10 years, I'd probably go nuts if I had to go back even to 8GB since 16GB is already too tight for my comfort with the amount of stuff I have open all the time.

Your "new-to-me" (hopefully "free-to-me") system only supports 7 year old CPUs at best and can't overclock. Good luck getting ANOTHER 8 years out of it.

Look at e-waste recycling centers near you for RAM. I've bought 2x8GB DDR3 for $16 at mine.
[edit] Just noticed you said you've actually got 2x4GB currently installed.

Last edited:

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Your "new-to-me" (hopefully "free-to-me") system only supports 7 year old CPUs at best and can't overclock. Good luck getting ANOTHER 8 years out of it.

Look at e-waste recycling centers near you for RAM. I've bought 2x8GB DDR3 for $16 at mine.
[edit] Just noticed you said you've actually got 2x4GB currently installed.
I have 4GB (2x2) wrote 2x2 DDR3, Not 2x4 DDR3! XD

TRENDING THREADS