[SOLVED] Is USB tethering using my 5gb of hotspot or my "unlimited" data?

Mar 14, 2021
Hey so im in a <Mod Edit> house rn and my parents took the wifi away. So i went out and upgraded my data plan to an "unlimited" data plan + 5gb of hotspot from net10/tracfone, and it gets the job done for 50$ a month and im happy, thing is, i have a laptop as well and today i found out about the USB tethering setting where i plug my oneplus 6t into my HP pavillion (i know the models probably dont matter but idk if itll help or not) and now im using my data as my wifi for my laptop (i only use it for discord and other small things but no gaming or anything super wifi hungry) and i was wondering if the usb tethering is using up my limited hotspot data even though the hotspot on my phone is turned OFF but i still get wifi off my phone (im even using it rn to type this) OR is it only using my "unlimited" data? because if it is using my unlimited it will make my life so much easier and stress free. thank you for your help! (excuse my grammer)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You would have to read the fine print but tethered and hotspot are generally considered the same thing. They would be really stupid to not since you can tether the phone to a router or a pc and then use those devices as the hotspot. Most plans I have seen use the word "tethered" in the limited bandwidth but that was before hotspot was so easy to do.

They put so called unlimited on the phone itself because most phones are very limited in how much bandwidth they can use because of the small cpu and storage. Some high end phones or tablets they put limits on even the "unlimited"
You would have to read the fine print but tethered and hotspot are generally considered the same thing. They would be really stupid to not since you can tether the phone to a router or a pc and then use those devices as the hotspot. Most plans I have seen use the word "tethered" in the limited bandwidth but that was before hotspot was so easy to do.

They put so called unlimited on the phone itself because most phones are very limited in how much bandwidth they can use because of the small cpu and storage. Some high end phones or tablets they put limits on even the "unlimited"

Solution