Question Issue renaming files

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have run into a recent problem renaming local files. I click on the name, start typing and it will randomly hang, I hear a "bling bling" error type noise based on the number of characters I was typing, and the file goes back to the name it was before. The noise on this theme is the same for which you try to rename something the same, as a point of reference. This is happening within all files in file manager, local, any drive or location, even on shared network locations.
Almost invariably when I click to rename it the second time the issue does not present.

I don't really know what to look for in reference to troubleshooting the issue. I don't think I have any sticky keys or anything of that nature.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
spare keyboard/mouse? a quick swap test will clear the keyboard/mouse and any sticky keys/buttons.

are you right clicking on the file? try this, highlight the file and hit F2 to try the rename and see of this method also provides the problem.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ok, I think I found the related event to the name change.

I am getting Event 5038 (system integrity) Microsoft Windows security auditing

"Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error."

I can't see that I have any issues with any of my disks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
that should only be on system file, not your file.
unless you have some malware on your system

The basically I am not finding anything in here specific to the issue at hand. There does seem to be some things going on with my AV playing right with my OS, Google Update, and a few other things that seem non-descript.

Out of curiosity, will an event 41 kernel power be generated when you go into BIOS?

Many 3rd party AV programs automatically disable the Windows Defender one. You need to disable one or the other.

Personally I use Norton AV, and it does automatically disable Defender. The problem comes from the fact that each AV program has a list of known problems, so one will see that list in the other and think it's found malware.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, aside from the AV warnings….the issue with renaming files remains.
I have swapped to a different keyboard. I have tried the F2 suggestion above....and just as a side note, due to the event 41 kernel power, I swapped to a better PSU, just cause.

I have tried clean boot and the issue persists. I am not really sure what to do or where to look for this issue.

gardenman

Splendid
I'm surprised the clean boot didn't work. I would have recommended that. Did you disable both start up programs and 3rd party services for the clean boot?

It sounds like the little "editor" where you type the filename in, is losing focus as you type. That would cause the 'beeps'. Open a empty folder and start typing random letters and it will beep. You might want to look up Focus Logger. I've tried it a few times before but didn't have much luck with it. If you try it out, run the one that ends with GUI.exe. It could potentially tell you what program/window is stealing focus, if that is indeed what is happening.

Does this happen with Notepad?

Have you tried safe mode? If not, give it a try and see if renaming works correctly there.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks. I will try those suggestions when I get a new keyboard....
I found that the ctrl key was sticking on the other keyboard and/or causing some issue within the computer itself, in that even another keyboard was having the same problem. I was testing within a text doc and having issues with it randomly typing keys, blinging, or doing ctrl + key commands. Really not sure at all what is going on....at this point I am going to try and make it through the work day and likely do a clean install on the system to see if the issues resolve.

There's always the Linux solution. I keep Linux Mint of a USB flash drive that I can boot and be up with it in about a minute. It has a user interface similar to Windows so you don't have to know anything about the Linux commands. This can rename anything.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It took me a while to find any reference to the issue outside of File Explorer crashing or full out inability to change file names at all, which is an ongoing issue in some builds since Win8.

It turns out that a few users have reported a similar issue to mine caused by the file refresh as a result of your background (theme) pic changing. Not that I can say it was happening at the exact same time, or even in regard to the color change of accents related to that feature...but the "fix" was to turn that off an go with a static picture and static accent color.
I cannot be certain the issue won't recur at the moment because I don't have enough unworked files to rename probably until Monday. Will report back.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just as final follow up on this issue.

The problem resides within the file window refresh that happens as a part of your desktop picture changing on the slideshow, as well as the setting to automatically choose your accent color based on your background. Each time this action happens you will note your file explorer window flash as the color change happens and then is when you are "kicked" from the rename/revert to previous.
Based on exactly what keys you are hitting during and after that happens you can further go on to delete/change/move etc. the file based on that combination.

Turning both these features off and going with a static background pic and accent color corrected the issue completely.