[SOLVED] Issue with CAT 7 cable and networking, speed limited to 10mb/s

Jan 28, 2021
Hi all, I'm asking for help setting up my home network. I'm experiencing some issues connecting a router(Fritz!Box) to my main modem. At the beginning I connected it with a short cat 6 cable and everything was working fine, now I installed a cat 7 cable to move the router on the first floor and the speed of the router is limited to 10mb/s while it should be around 100mb/s.
On the modem control center the speed is also benchmarked as 10mb/s, the strange thing is that when I connect a pc to the same cable, the speed goes back to 100mb/s. I also tried using a switch before connecting the router, in order to change the cable going in to the router, but it turns out always at 10mb/s and also the computer connected to the switch gets the same bandwidth. The cable is crimped with rj45 connectors in T-568B, have no clue how to solve the issue, please someone help.

Solution
I followed your suggestion but didn't solve the problem, the connection is always 10mb/s, although I noticed a strange thing, when I connect the router for like 2 seconds it is 100mb/s then it will disconnect and go back to 10mb/s, any clues?

Most likely bad cable. You might need to re-run it.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all, I'm asking for help setting up my home network. I'm experiencing some issues connecting a router(Fritz!Box) to my main modem. At the beginning I connected it with a short cat 6 cable and everything was working fine, now I installed a cat 7 cable to move the router on the first floor and the speed of the router is limited to 10mb/s while it should be around 100mb/s.
On the modem control center the speed is also benchmarked as 10mb/s, the strange thing is that when I connect a pc to the same cable, the speed goes back to 100mb/s. I also tried using a switch before connecting the router, in order to change the cable going in to the router, but it turns out always at 10mb/s and also the computer connected to the switch gets the same bandwidth. The cable is crimped with rj45 connectors in T-568B, have no clue how to solve the issue, please someone help.
The best way to solve it is to buy pre-terminated cables. Then you don't have to worry. Next thing is to throw out "Cat7" cables. It was a failed standard and is used to fool people into paying more for something they don't need. Third if this is "flat" cable, that may be the problem. All you need is quality Cat5e 100% copper 22-24GA wire. Nothing fancy.

Reactions: Krotow
Jan 28, 2021
The best way to solve it is to buy pre-terminated cables. Then you don't have to worry. Next thing is to throw out "Cat7" cables. It was a failed standard and is used to fool people into paying more for something they don't need. Third if this is "flat" cable, that may be the problem. All you need is quality Cat5e 100% copper 22-24GA wire. Nothing fancy.
Thank you for your response.
The strange thing is that the cable is working fine with the pc, the problem is with the router. I cannot use pre-terminated cables because I have to pass 50 meters of cable in the electric holes and with the termination it won't pass. What do you mean with flat cable? The crimping may be wrong?

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your response.
The strange thing is that the cable is working fine with the pc, the problem is with the router. I cannot use pre-terminated cables because I have to pass 50 meters of cable in the electric holes and with the termination it won't pass. What do you mean with flat cable? The crimping may be wrong?
Can you post a link to the cable you used?

There are cables that are marketed as "flat" rather than round. The wire gauge in those cables is too small and doesn't meet spec.

kanewolf

Titan
Jan 28, 2021
I cannot use this type of connector because the cable has to exit from the modem with male side and enter the router always with male side, I already put 50ms of cable inside the walls

I cannot use this type of connector because the cable has to exit from the modem with male side and enter the router always with male side, I already put 50ms of cable inside the walls

You're supposed to use a wall plate which these plug into: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-10-Pack-Profile-Keystone/dp/B074HHDJWT
To make it look like the cable was originally part of the house. Then from the wall, you just use some premade cables to connect to your computer or router.

If you have several cables coming out of the wall to different locations in the house, you can use a punchdown patch panel to bring them all together at a central location: https://www.amazon.com/Dshot12-Cat5e-network-Mount-Surface/dp/B00NTWK8VW

Jan 28, 2021
You're supposed to use a wall plate which these plug into: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-10-Pack-Profile-Keystone/dp/B074HHDJWT
To make it look like the cable was originally part of the house. Then from the wall, you just use some premade cables to connect to your computer or router.

If you have several cables coming out of the wall to different locations in the house, you can use a punchdown patch panel to bring them all together at a central location: https://www.amazon.com/Dshot12-Cat5e-network-Mount-Surface/dp/B00NTWK8VW
I followed your suggestion but didn't solve the problem, the connection is always 10mb/s, although I noticed a strange thing, when I connect the router for like 2 seconds it is 100mb/s then it will disconnect and go back to 10mb/s, any clues?