[SOLVED] Issue with multi-core performance on Ubuntu 20.04 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacko586

Honorable
May 19, 2016
Hello!

Firstly, I will state my specs:

Intel i7-10510u with Intel UHD 620 graphics
AMD Radeon 610 dGPU
256 GB Kioxia SSD
8GB RAM

I have basically observed an issue where the single cores do boost all the way to 4.9 GHz and when under a multicore task(like video rendering on handbrake), the frequency it stabilises at after a few minutes is 2.6-2.7 GHz after throttling on Windows. The problem I see in linux is that the base frequency (which is 1.8 GHz) is reached under a multicore task for all cores. The monitoring software I use is powertop, and I have tlp installed on the laptop as well. I know it is not a problem with either of them, because the issue existed before I installed those two packages.

All the solutions I have seen online involve disabling stuff to do with Intel Speedstep in the UEFI (which made no difference) and also installing cpufrequtils, which I doubt will work because I don't think you are able to edit the max base frequency.
From what I have read, this could be caused by the scaling driver on the linux kernel.

Some solutions include changing the power management settings on the Dell proprietary software on Windows, but unfortunately, this did not work either.

And no, it is not overheating, the temperature is about 60 degrees celsius under load, which is 15 degrees above idle. There is one thing I have noticed though, and it is that it runs at normal multicore speed for maybe about 5 seconds, where it does hit 90 degrees according to lm-sensors but then it retards the speed quite a bit. The processor is not supposed to throttle until it hits 99-100 degrees Celsius for my model (which is too hot, but hey, intel is gonna intel).

Is there anything that I can try to get Intel Turbo Boost to work on multicore tasks instead of each individual core?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Chacko586

Honorable
May 19, 2016
Oh I see, sorry for the inconvenience then, I have already seen this thread, but I don't think I have followed the steps exactly, so I will try again.
Looks like the issue is solved! I followed the last answer in that thread where someone uninstalled the thermald package on their Dell Latitude with the same processor, and it worked for me. Thanks for pointing me to that thread again, and I apologise if this question was out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.