Issue with Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

burstfyre20

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I bought it from a friend, who by the way has a computer that's much newer than my own, and installed it on my laptop. It works beautifully on there despite the low resolution. Now I installed it on my desktop and it insalled just fine, updated just fine, started up and let me create a character. That's where I had an issue. Right after I finished character creation and clicked play, it started to load but then it crashes. I tried every setting I possibly could but it just crashes at that same point. What could be causing this issue on my desktop but not on my laptop?

Laptop specs:
Intel i5 3230m
Intel HD 4000
750GB Seagate
8GB Corsair Vengeance
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Desktop Specs
Intel i7 920
MSI Radeon HD 7770
640GB WDC Blue
2TB Raid 0 (Seagate Barracuda/WDC Black)
6GB OCZ Gold Series

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Oh it woked before on that computer? It was probably the resolution if you pick something incompatible it wont launch next time you try to open it.

burstfyre20

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
It was the Frame buffer effects that caused the game to crash. I just turned it off and it let me get past the character creation. I saved the game on default settings then I started increasing the resolution and turning things on until I got an error. As soon as I turned Frame buffer effects, the game crashed after loading the save.

burstfyre20

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Turning soft shadows on also seems to cause the game to crash. Actually, now that I think about it, when I load the game on my laptop, it has both of those settings greyed out. I guess turning both of those off lets the game run just fine.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Might be a nvida specific feature or something i had them both turned on with everything maxed with no problem at all i would think yours should be able to as well.

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
You might look into mods, I played through 1 and 2 recently (when I still had Win7) and there are some that make the game more stable. Had to run as admin and get a cracked exe to make the widescreen patch work properly though.