[SOLVED] Issue with WiFi extender when supporting Ethernet

Feb 5, 2020
I currently have Verizon FiOS. our downstairs router is connected through Ethernet. but the rest of the house is wired with coax. we have an extender from Verizon that works off of the Coax it is a different wifi signal than the router downstairs. same name but with 5G after it. our internet speed is fine at around 350 MBs. the router is my upstairs bedroom and is connected via Ethernet to my gaming PC. my problem is that when I am Gaming are entire WiFi slows down to the point where WiFi devices cant connect to the internet. I have no issues when gaming no lag spikes or drops. my knowledge is limited on this any help or solution would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Yup you need to find ways to isolate the parts of the network and device to figure out what is doing strange stuff.

Although not real common moca can get interference. If the coax cable being used has other stuff on it or even unused splitters it can cause issues. I know directv has their version of moca and it is incompatible. If you hook the systems together you get all kinds of strange problems if it even works at all.

Lutfij

Titan
I don't think you can modify/tinker/tamper with the devices that have been bundled with your package/connection. If this were an aftermarket router, you could've set a QoS setting to regulate how much bandwidth each device in your household were to get. I don't recall seeing a wireless device drop devices when one system is pulling all the bandwidth.

You are likely going to have to do more testing to find what traffic is really causing the issue.

Verizon uses moca to connect the remote boxes to the router. It generally is not the bottleneck. If you get 350mbps speedtest results you do not have a issue with the moca. The moca is functioning very similar to a ethernet cable between your main router and remote box. If you plug you pc into the remote box via ethernet it is as close as you can get to ethernet to the main router.

The traffic never passes over the wifi network so it can not directly impact the wifi users. It would have to be either you are overloading the moca connection between the main and remote router or you are somehow over utilizing the remote router cpu or memory or something.

If you had said you were doing bit torrent file transfer then I could see it. But most online games use almost no bandwidth, like 1mbit up and down. So it can't be as simple as the traffic from the game is causing the problem.

I would watch the network resource monitor and see what traffic rates you machine is using maybe there is something else. Still you would have to be using all the 350mbps of bandwidth.

You might want to try local file transfers inside your house on the wifi devices to see if there is any pattern. Is it only internet traffic that is affected or do you slower file transfers between wifi devices during this time. Is it only device connected to the remote box or are wifi device connected to the main router also affected.

This is a very strange thing, the equipment you have should have no issues running wifi and online gaming.

Reactions: mfx95
Feb 5, 2020
My usage is low when gaming below 2MBps. The downstairs router is also being affected when gaming it can connected via WiFi but the speeds slow down drastically. the remote box upstairs is completely unusable when gaming. to the point where WiFi devices state they are not connected to the internet.

I will have to check later but i dont believe their is a moca cable attached to the downstairs router, only the remote box. the entire house is run with coax expect for a single Ethernet jack in the kitchen.

Feb 5, 2020
I don't think you can modify/tinker/tamper with the devices that have been bundled with your package/connection. If this were an aftermarket router, you could've set a QoS setting to regulate how much bandwidth each device in your household were to get. I don't recall seeing a wireless device drop devices when one system is pulling all the bandwidth.
my PC is never using all the bandwidth, the internet only drops when im gaming, surfing the web and streaming movies is fine. could something be happening when is upload.

Feb 5, 2020
You are likely going to have to do more testing to find what traffic is really causing the issue.

Verizon uses moca to connect the remote boxes to the router. It generally is not the bottleneck. If you get 350mbps speedtest results you do not have a issue with the moca. The moca is functioning very similar to a ethernet cable between your main router and remote box. If you plug you pc into the remote box via ethernet it is as close as you can get to ethernet to the main router.

The traffic never passes over the wifi network so it can not directly impact the wifi users. It would have to be either you are overloading the moca connection between the main and remote router or you are somehow over utilizing the remote router cpu or memory or something.

If you had said you were doing bit torrent file transfer then I could see it. But most online games use almost no bandwidth, like 1mbit up and down. So it can't be as simple as the traffic from the game is causing the problem.

I would watch the network resource monitor and see what traffic rates you machine is using maybe there is something else. Still you would have to be using all the 350mbps of bandwidth.

You might want to try local file transfers inside your house on the wifi devices to see if there is any pattern. Is it only internet traffic that is affected or do you slower file transfers between wifi devices during this time. Is it only device connected to the remote box or are wifi device connected to the main router also affected.

This is a very strange thing, the equipment you have should have no issues running wifi and online gaming.
I ran a speed test last nigh my upload speed was 70mb faster than my download speeds something funky is going on?

Yup you need to find ways to isolate the parts of the network and device to figure out what is doing strange stuff.

Although not real common moca can get interference. If the coax cable being used has other stuff on it or even unused splitters it can cause issues. I know directv has their version of moca and it is incompatible. If you hook the systems together you get all kinds of strange problems if it even works at all.

Solution
Feb 5, 2020

I will fiddle with it later, thanks for the help!