It may be time soon!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Actually I did. I got myself a GF3 right when it came out and took a trip over to radio shack, talked it over with a few other guys who mod and we traced some resistors and found which ones to mod. Using my ub3r l337 soldering iron (yeah, one of those big ones, not the fancy small ones made for fine work) I practiced on several radios and finally did it on my GF3. Bam, quadro! Woot. Too bad not too long after a component of my system managed to fall on the card, slash it, and fry it. I got it replaced, but got a deal, and got a Quadro DCC for 80 bucks! That was a vewy vewy nice deal:)

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I gaurantee that they work right, cause I test em. I would not put an FX5900 in a system that couldn't support it. See, the benjamins sitting on my desk seem to acknowledge that :wink:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Wow. I once again point at the fact that you don't read or misinterpret everything I say. You will notice I have said this several times that the previous FireGL cards were kickass and I had great respect for them. They also seemed to work pretty well. So if one came out and could run games as well as a top (or close to it) gamer card and wooped a Quadro, yes, I would get it. I would never get an Ati gamer card.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Eden, I never recommended a FX card to anyone. Believe me. I swear to God on that one.

I'm praising God that you haven't done so RC!

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

eden

Champion
Eden, I never recommended a FX card to anyone. Believe me. I swear to God on that one.
ROFL!

You sounded like one of those guys in the movies trying sweatingly to go out of a situation! :lol:

"I didn't do it, I SWEAR!!"

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Enlighten me Flamethrower, what is the Quadro DDC and its GeForce "Equivalent"? Since you use all that CAD stuff & I haven't, I haven't had the need to take the opprotunity of exploring the capabilities of the Quadro Cards. Why does soldering a few tracings onto a GeForce card make turn the GeForce into a totally different animal. I'm also wondering why GeForce cards can't hold their own in CAD without the modifcations to the board.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

eden

Champion
d00d I read and knew that. But when you mock ATi in itself and then state back then you had respect for the FireGLs, one would find it obvious you're not fond of anything ATi. Heck I think most here thought that before this post.

Besides, it's all good. At least I know now that I have asked all that there is, that you do have a side of acceptance.

EXCEPT one thing:
I would never get an Ati gamer card.
That would imply you would also never get an nVidia gamer card that ISN'T MODDABLE, hmm?
(In such situation you take into account FireGLs have the same driver set as the 9800s so the stability is the same)

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I was gone for three days and it's already raining cats and dogs. Don't get your hopes up, i'm not coming back yet! and it's not because of stupid video cards. Stop being poo poo heads and help out noobies

CoolSquirtle OUT and DONE

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5950ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
waiting for aBox~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eden

Champion
I'll answer partly. I'm not sure but the GF3 is likely the Quadro DCC.
However, I think the reason why the soldering was needed is because back then nVidia wanted the most discrete way of blocking GF ID on the card to make it a Quadro at all times. Since the drivers alone are the only thing that make the Quadros (it just seems that), it's obvious they need to block the system from detecting it's a Quadro, so they add some packaging resistors here and there, so that it will always think it's a GF.
Basically like the hardware mod of the 9500.

It's pretty silly we pay 600$ more for that super OGL performance, simply because the drivers feature some settings enabled suddenly. Imagine if all GFs had Quadro properties!

Hell, has anyone tested a gamer card against them to see just HOW far they go really over gaming cards?

--

eden

Champion
So what the heck is the difference between a FireGL and a Radeon 9800 aside from OpenGL drivers?

Where's the logic d00d?

--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Right now nothing, which is why I ain't liking em. I'm talking about the days past when the FireGL's were totally different from the Radeons and they were of some use.

eden

Champion
Right now nothing, which is why I ain't liking em. I'm talking about the days past when the FireGL's were totally different from the Radeons and they were of some use.
So, because ATi improved their game, made their cards nVidia Killers, suddenly the FireGLs, if one day are better, are crap?

D00d, you talk about me misinterpreting, look at your logic!
You've got none, no basis whatsoever!

--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The Firegl's are not crap b/c Radeons "kill" NV cards. It is because they cannot stand their ground when it comes to OGL b/c they are based on the Radeons. Before, they weren't.

eden

Champion
They were based on what, before?

And again I said take this with the scenario that they are superior.
If that were the case, then you'd have no logic.

I say to you would you buy one if it were dominating. You say probably so, but never a gamer ATi card. Then logically that inclines you to workstation card preference. But wow, looks like not, your fanboyism would then choose nVidia gaming cards. So there is no logic, conclusion: you're still not mature on this issue as always.

--

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I might add/confirm that this would be a rather unusal path of reasoning. He would take the ATi workstation, but not ATi for gaming. I'm very sorry to say flamey, but that doesn't sound like a credible move to me. In some respects it comes across as contradictory logic. I'm not trying to suggest you dumb or anything, just maybe a little biased somehat out of reason.

eden

Champion
No, that is something I can understand and cope with, since it's his need to work with workstation cards. (heck I may need such when I'll work in 3D for my Multimedia college program)

What does NOT make sense is him implying he won't get a normal gaming card from ATi, but one from nVidia, especially after the NON-MODDABLE constraint I laid out. Proving further on his logic is based on fanboyism. I thought I had reached the point where I could remove that label off him and give some respect back, but looks like I was proven wrong.

--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yes, you determine what respect I get. pfffff, get over yourself.

I base my not buying a FireGL on 3 reasons:
A) NV's Quadros now are different in hardware than their GF counterparts, and this will most likely be the trend.
B) So far, NV cards seem to be headed toward optimization for OGL.
c) Ati has entered into the trend where their FireGL's are very much based on their gamer cards, which are not as good in OGL
Now the best prediction we can make about the future is that Ati's cards will not perform as well in ogl, thus the Firegl's will not outdo the NV cards will, especially the quadro series, will be more and more tailored to 3d apps and ogl.
It's based on these facts that I said that statement.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 10/04/03 03:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Even more absurd because you have not even answered my question!

Read before you write Flamey, isn't that what you tell me?

Where's your logic on the Ti4200 thing?

FURTHERMORE:
NV's Quadros now are different in hardware than their GF counterparts, and this will most likely be the trend.
Got some hard links that show the silicon, or amount of transistors, or circuitry, basically anything pointing to core differences?
Ati has entered into the trend where their FireGL's are very much based on their gamer cards, which are not as good in OGL
How can you know? nVidia has always ruled once Quadro mode is enabled on regular GFs. That's how it's been for ATi as well. In fact it competes fairly well near the Quadro 3000, showing that its core is as good as ever. Reputable reviewers have stated it too often, it's the drivers that need to be optimized. nVidia's SOLE AND ONLY advantage is that. That's the only reason those cards still trample.
You're welcome to show me otherwise.
So far, NV cards seem to be headed toward optimization for OGL.
In Workstation or gaming as well? The latter is because they use so many extensions it's not believable. All of it to give grace to their crappy core. ATi OTOH has a firm lead in both APIs without the need for extensive libraries made by them.

So again Flamey, before you address these two points, address the one you had absolutely not read, which me and UFO pointed out, where I continued UFO's point to lead to the actual illogical one you have. Or do I need to lay out everything I said and then you said, to show where you drifted off?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 10/04/03 06:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
If it based on the ati gamer core, no, because of my distrust of their gamer cards.
If it is not on their gamer core, yes.

The other answer I gave btw w/ the trends was also a prediction based on the trends which we currently see (tho they may change).

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The GF4 series certainly were. Modifications, sofware hacks, all could not succeed in getting a true quadro 4's performance. The specifics of the differences I forget, but they were there. Through benchmarking alone tho one could determine that.
Look at tom's benches, the quadro series clearly wins. Even if it is b/c drivers- I as the end user care about the end performance, so even if it's only better b/c software, that's fine.

BTW, since ur gonna look at this, I was checking looking at several Canon digital cameras. Still leaning towards an S50, tho I'm wanting a G3 more now since it's got more and better features. How's your A70 in terms of manual settings (which are what I'm interested in).

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
DISTRUST?! LOL!

You are pathetic flame.

And a 10x improvement (Quadro over non)? Lol. NOT!

U better provide links to back up everything you're saying, alot of it is BS, and fanboyism.

Stop asking people "whats up" or "hows it goin", you know you don't give a sh*t. And noone cares how you're doing either.

"We are far less than we knew." - Bright Eyes