Question It's time...

bravodown

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
It's that time again. Time to finally retire the old dog i7 3770k and assemble a new rig. I can just feel it in my circuits. Don't get me wrong. I love this CPU. Acquired back in December of 2012, world's end or so the Mayans said, this beast of a chip must have been imbued with the power of the gods. It still shines despite falling below those dastardly minimum system requirements that seem to be appearing with more frequency. Especially so now that I'm getting into VR. It served a long and purposeful life, and it still will! Albeit in reduced capacity. My current i7 had a good run. It's still holding up considerably well. However, new times require new thinking. Word on the street is that AMD is where it's at.

My dilemma is that I'm caught between what I'm reading/hearing about modern AMD processors and my affinity for Intel processors based on personal experiences. Of my three desktops, only one was AMD and it generally had more problems. Granted, it was the only prebuilt of the three. I'm leaning towards Intel and I know I'd be fine with that, but I'm just wondering if I'd really be missing out by not going for AMD.

dimtodim

Respectable
Sep 4, 2018
It's that time again. Time to finally retire the old dog i7 3770k and assemble a new rig. I can just feel it in my circuits. Don't get me wrong. I love this CPU. Acquired back in December of 2012, world's end or so the Mayans said, this beast of a chip must have been imbued with the power of the gods. It still shines despite falling below those dastardly minimum system requirements that seem to be appearing with more frequency. Especially so now that I'm getting into VR. It served a long and purposeful life, and it still will! Albeit in reduced capacity. My current i7 had a good run. It's still holding up considerably well. However, new times require new thinking. Word on the street is that AMD is where it's at.

My dilemma is that I'm caught between what I'm reading/hearing about modern AMD processors and my affinity for Intel processors based on personal experiences. Of my three desktops, only one was AMD and it generally had more problems. Granted, it was the only prebuilt of the three. I'm leaning towards Intel and I know I'd be fine with that, but I'm just wondering if I'd really be missing out by not going for AMD.
i dont know all your configuration but that cpu is good i7 3770k . I have all years back intel now i have amd first time :)...what is your budget?

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
AMD and Intel have pretty much switched places................again, when it comes to consumer CPUs, at least to some extent.

AMD CPUs are now less power hungry, with lower TDP, while the current (AND last two) generations of Intel CPU are more power hungry, with higher TDP and run hotter than equivalent core AMD models. That's a generalization and there are probably some exceptions to be made but overall that seems to be the case and state of the union these days. Also, AMD has the better multithreaded performance in most cases.

Intel still tends to hold the gaming advantage because it still has better single core performance for the most part, but that is also probably about to change when the new Ryzen 5000 series CPUs drop next month. If that happens, then AMD will be beating out Intel on number of cores per dollar, multithreaded performance AND single core performance, plus they will likely be less expensive than similar core count Intel processors.

That doesn't mean that Intel isn't still a good option though, and if we're being honest, neither of them have much overclocking headroom on their higher tiered CPUs so that's a feature that has largely been made irrelevant EXCEPT that on Intel processors the unlocked K skus still (As always) tend to be higher clocked than otherwise identical locked models so there is generally some binning advantages to be had there in addition to technically being capable of being overclocked AND when used with the unlocked chipset, using higher speed memory as well.

I highly recommend that anybody building a system soon should WAIT, and see what shakes out. It is so close to the release of the new AMD models AND Intel is dropping a new generation in January from what I've read, so there might be a lot to look at between the two when that happens but I still think that when the dust settles the new AMD processors are going to be the better choice, and that is coming from somebody who has also used Intel for four out of the last five of my own builds.

Reactions: bravodown
Oct 8, 2020

I believe you'll be fine as intel is trustworthy. AMD can be set aside now. My friend did so and she said it's fine.

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
If you prefer Intel, no great disadvantage in sticking with them. Even when the new AMD chips come out and they beat Intel, it won't be by much.
No, it probably won't be. But when they beat them by 5-10%, and are 100 bucks less for a similarly tiered CPU, well, that's hard to ignore. Not needing a jet turbine to keep them cool, or at least, not as big of one anyhow, is helpful as well. But again, both are absolutely viable, and neither is a particularly BAD choice.

bravodown

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
No, it probably won't be. But when they beat them by 5-10%, and are 100 bucks less for a similarly tiered CPU, well, that's hard to ignore. Not needing a jet turbine to keep them cool, or at least, not as big of one anyhow, is helpful as well. But again, both are absolutely viable, and neither is a particularly BAD choice.
Thanks for the feedback.
AMD and Intel have pretty much switched places................again, when it comes to consumer CPUs, at least to some extent.

AMD CPUs are now less power hungry, with lower TDP, while the current (AND last two) generations of Intel CPU are more power hungry, with higher TDP and run hotter than equivalent core AMD models. That's a generalization and there are probably some exceptions to be made but overall that seems to be the case and state of the union these days. Also, AMD has the better multithreaded performance in most cases.

Intel still tends to hold the gaming advantage because it still has better single core performance for the most part, but that is also probably about to change when the new Ryzen 5000 series CPUs drop next month. If that happens, then AMD will be beating out Intel on number of cores per dollar, multithreaded performance AND single core performance, plus they will likely be less expensive than similar core count Intel processors.

That doesn't mean that Intel isn't still a good option though, and if we're being honest, neither of them have much overclocking headroom on their higher tiered CPUs so that's a feature that has largely been made irrelevant EXCEPT that on Intel processors the unlocked K skus still (As always) tend to be higher clocked than otherwise identical locked models so there is generally some binning advantages to be had there in addition to technically being capable of being overclocked AND when used with the unlocked chipset, using higher speed memory as well.

I highly recommend that anybody building a system soon should WAIT, and see what shakes out. It is so close to the release of the new AMD models AND Intel is dropping a new generation in January from what I've read, so there might be a lot to look at between the two when that happens but I still think that when the dust settles the new AMD processors are going to be the better choice, and that is coming from somebody who has also used Intel for four out of the last five of my own builds.
Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely consider this in my decision. I'm not in any rush so I don't have a problem waiting and seeing how things pan out. Plus with the holiday sales season coming up it might make sense to wait to purchase components for another month or so anyway. Perhaps I'll get a deal on some other pieces I'm looking at.

I set aside money for this at the beginning of the year. I was still running windows 7 and some newer games just were not performing how they should've been. I decided to finally do the free upgrade to windows 10 (why it took me so long? who knows lol). It greatly improved my experience for some newer titles.

Oct 20, 2020
Always been mostly leaned towards Intel, but i gotta say with recent AMD launches that i'm highly considering switching team, atleast until Intel catches up again.

Throughout time though i gotta say that Intel has been most consistent(in my eyes), but basically all my friends are telling me AMD is the way to go now.

And like Darkbreeze said, these 2 have been battling for the #1 spot forever, theres 100% no definite winner since they keep catching up to eachother it seems.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS