[SOLVED] itunes backup question

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
i've backed up everything in itunes manually without time machine and all the songs all have been renamed something like 03_songtitle or similar, does that mean if i ever have to bring them back to itunes that's what they will be called in there?

Solution
And as a note, you have to name them in iTunes. Not the actual file. One way to check is to name it in iTunes then reveal in finder to check. That may be under sorting tab if I remember correctly.

Kind Regards,
Gary
D

Deleted member 14196

How did you back them up? and back what up where they your MP3s before you put them in the iTunes? Or are you ripping them out of iTunes which would be illegal and out of scope for this site

the name displayed in a playback application like iTunes isn't always the same as the file name (there is 'metadata' associated like the artist and title of the song/album, etc the program can read). The preceding number in those file names is generally the track number as on the originating album

D

Deleted member 14196

That’s all fine and good but that doesn’t answer his question. And since I’m not going to test it I don’t know for sure but I don’t think it will name them properly if you put them back into iTunes

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
i've noticed you can copy itunes files like songs or movies after you've purchased and downloaded them, that's how i backed up everything. i just want to make sure the names appear the same on itunes if i every have to replace them.

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Hmm, that's odd. Have you tried Carbon Copy Cloner? I've had music both downloaded and cd's and have not encountered that issue. I have sometimes had to name each song initially if it doesn't transfer over from a cd. But it stays named.

Kind Regards,
Gary

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
And as a note, you have to name them in iTunes. Not the actual file. One way to check is to name it in iTunes then reveal in finder to check. That may be under sorting tab if I remember correctly.

Kind Regards,
Gary

Solution