[SOLVED] I've been given a graphics card, and as someone who knows nothing about them, I was wondering if someone could help me identify it.

Apr 3, 2020
I think it is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080, but is there any more information any one could give me about this as I'm hoping to sell it. i can send a picture or post one on here if someone can tell me how.
IMG-0858.jpg
IMG-0862.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Have you installed and tested the card? Doing so will do two things for you:

1) You can use Device Manager and other tools to help identify the card.

2) You can determine if the card actually works or not. If not then the card should be properly recycled.

Overall the first question any potential buyer will ask is "does the card work"? You must be honest about your answer.

Other things you can do:

Take a close look at everything printed on the board. Google accordingly.

Keep in mind that the card could be a counterfeit card and the search results may not be helpful. You can search GPU images and compare your card to those images. Look for components and their respective placement on the cards. Genuine cards will simply...

Ralston18

Titan

2) You can determine if the card actually works or not. If not then the card should be properly recycled.

Overall the first question any potential buyer will ask is "does the card work"? You must be honest about your answer.

Other things you can do:

Keep in mind that the card could be a counterfeit card and the search results may not be helpful. You can search GPU images and compare your card to those images. Look for components and their respective placement on the cards. Genuine cards will simply look (subjective) better. Bad soldering, bent components, flimsy, structure could be indications of a counterfeit card. Poor quality to sum that all up.

To post an image:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Solution
Apr 3, 2020

Other things you can do:

Keep in mind that the card could be a counterfeit card and the search results may not be helpful. You can search GPU images and compare your card to those images. Look for components and their respective placement on the cards. Genuine cards will simply look (subjective) better. Bad soldering, bent components, flimsy, structure could be indications of a counterfeit card. Poor quality to sum that all up.

To post an image:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html
[/QUOTE

Great, thank you. I have now successfully uploaded a picture. As far as the other suggestions go, I have taken your advice and googled it and it all looks right. I can't install the card as I don't have the technology to do so. THank you for all your help.

Where did you get this card?
Looks like a nvidia GTX1080 founder's edition.
(not the more expensive GTX1080ti version)
It sells for perhaps $380 on ebay in used working condition.
The back label on the card should have markings and a a serial number where you can check on the maker.

But, there are counterfeit versions originating in China.
If you want full value, you MUST test it for proper operation.
Otherwise, you must state that it is sold as is with no knowledge of proper functionality.
Someone would possibly buy it for $80 then.

It would be worth your while to take it to a shop for testing.
GPU-Z can identify the card and detect if it is legit.
If you can borrow a pc to test that would be ok.

Reactions: King_V

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
One hell of a buddy to give you a GTX 1080.

It would be my bet that they have a way to power it so you can see it working.

I honestly have to say that having a "buddy" give you a card like that would also seemingly be in the know as to whether you could use it. Questions abound.....

Reactions: King_V
Apr 3, 2020
Where did you get this card?
Looks like a nvidia GTX1080 founder's edition.
(not the more expensive GTX1080ti version)
It sells for perhaps $380 on ebay in used working condition.
The back label on the card should have markings and a a serial number where you can check on the maker.

But, there are counterfeit versions originating in China.
If you want full value, you MUST test it for proper operation.
Otherwise, you must state that it is sold as is with no knowledge of proper functionality.
Someone would possibly buy it for $80 then.

It would be worth your while to take it to a shop for testing.
GPU-Z can identify the card and detect if it is legit.
If you can borrow a pc to test that would be ok.
Thank you! I've looked on the back and I'll try to attach a picture of the label. I can't go to a shop to try and get it tested as all are closed here in the UK for covid-19. I also don't own a PC or have access to one on which i can test it. However, I'm pretty sure it works, as my uncle who gave it to me was using it recently and gave it to me in the knowledge that it works. Thank you.

Apr 3, 2020
One hell of a buddy to give you a GTX 1080.

It would be my bet that they have a way to power it so you can see it working.

I honestly have to say that having a "buddy" give you a card like that would also seemingly be in the know as to whether you could use it. Questions abound.....
Thanks for the reply! It was my uncle, because he no longer needs it. He used it recently and is sure that it works, but i can't give it to him to test, as he is in the US and I'm in the UK. Also I don't have a PC to test it on.