[SOLVED] Just got my new pc, prebuilt with free windows but my key that i just bought wont work (using the "change product key" method)

Luca_21

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
i just got my pc and i used the free trial option of windows, now i bought a digital key but windows wont let me use it, maybe i need to use a different method to get it.
Im going from Trial to Windows Pro so maybe the pro version needs me to reinstall windows or something?

Solution
The Windows 10 home to pro conversion can be a little iffy, sometimes you have to use a trial key for the upgrade then change out to the key you want, the process is described below.

https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-using-an-oem-key

1. Go to system, update and security, activation.
  2. Click change key and use the trial key to start the upgrade.
  3. This is the part that gets a little annoying and i dont remember if its before or after the key verifies, but basically after it starts the process you disconnect from the internet so that it runs the upgrade process locally.
  4. After the upgrade completes, reconnect to the internet, and change the key again to the one you wanted to use in...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Even if you have Home and attempt to use a VALID Pro key it will install the components needed to meet the key when using "change product key".

It is not unusual for third party sites to utilize grey market keys. It might work for install, it might work forever, and it readily could go unactivated in days or a month, etc. Your best source for keys is to pony up and pay Microsoft for them.

Luca_21

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Even if you have Home and attempt to use a VALID Pro key it will install the components needed to meet the key when using "change product key".

It is not unusual for third party sites to utilize grey market keys. It might work for install, it might work forever, and it readily could go unactivated in days or a month, etc. Your best source for keys is to pony up and pay Microsoft for them.
Well how do i get into this install stage, my pc came with windows fully installed.

rgd1101

Don't
Well how do i get into this install stage, my pc came with windows fully installed.

artk2219

Distinguished
The Windows 10 home to pro conversion can be a little iffy, sometimes you have to use a trial key for the upgrade then change out to the key you want, the process is described below.

https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-using-an-oem-key

1. Go to system, update and security, activation.
  2. Click change key and use the trial key to start the upgrade.
  3. This is the part that gets a little annoying and i dont remember if its before or after the key verifies, but basically after it starts the process you disconnect from the internet so that it runs the upgrade process locally.
  4. After the upgrade completes, reconnect to the internet, and change the key again to the one you wanted to use in the first place.
As always, make sure your stuff is backed up beforehand, or if you dont want to go through that process, just do a fresh install of windows pro and use the key you bought after the install finishes (Select the "I dont have a key" option during the initial install, Windows 10 doesnt always verify valid keys during the initial install).

Solution