K6-2+ and the ASUS P5A

G

Has anyone been able to make the subject combination work properly? I am not discussing (or even interested in) the P5A-B, or any other variation,... just the P5A. I have tried all of the de rigueur BIOS updates (including 1011.002 for the P5A-B), but nothing works the way it should. Problems include not seeing the L-3 cache, not even close at identifying the CPU (it thinks a 450mHz K6-2+ is a 300 mHz K6-3). Even when things seem to be working (even though the CPU is reported as "Unknown"), it runs like a slug. Quake III fps's in the teens. Anyone out there know the secret to make a P5A work? ASUS seems to have disavowed any knowledge of this motherboard's existence.

I M Leery

G

Actually, I did. You will note that neither the ASUS jumper setting page, the BIOS page, nor any other page that references the P5A motherboard specifically references any of the "plus" series AMD processors. My interest lies singularly with the K6-2+ or the K6-III+ processors. Regarding BIOS, I have tried both 1006 and 1007. I have also tried most of the later P5A/B BIOS, up to 1011.002.

I would be delighted if I could get a K6-2+ to run correctly at it's rated clock speed. To that end, I have been using simple base-line jumper settings of: FS0->FS2 set at 1-2, FS3 set to 2-3, BFn set to 2-3, and VIDn set to 1-2. This is the suggested setting for the K6-III, except that the processor voltage is set for 2.0 volts. This results in the P5-A thinking that the K6-2+ is a K6-III but, as I alluded to in my first note, it runs like a slug. I am convinced that these BIOS (or the Ali chip set)can not properly handle the "on-die" L2 cache of the K6-2+.

I M Leery

G

DID YOU GO TO THE THREAD FOR THE ASUS MB I POSTED.
ALSO MY MB.(FIC503A)HAS A OPTION TO TURN OFF THE ONBOARD CACHE IF YOU WANT TO,ALSO THE K6+ CHIPS CAN ONLY USE 1 MEG OF ONBOARD CACHE.
AND VERY IMPORTANT GET SANDRA AND SEE IF YOU HAVE :DATA PREFETCH,SPECULATIVE WRITE ORDERING,WRITE ALLOCATE 15-16 MEG,AND MOST IMPORTANT-----WRITE ALLOCATION....