K7S5A keeps rebooting at startup

When I turn my K7S5A based system on the XP slpash screen appears with the
moving bar but after a few seconds after it checks the CD ROM's it reboots and
just keeps doing this. It does this when I try safe mode, last good config. Is
there some way to correct this

"J B Den" <jbden@aol.com> wrote in message

" When I turn my K7S5A based system on the XP slpash screen appears with
the moving bar but after a few seconds after it checks the CD ROM's it
reboots and just keeps doing this. It does this when I try safe mode, last
good config. Is there some way to correct this "

Have you tried re-seating the CPU HSF? It might not be on properly, and
it's overheating.

On 10 Sep 2004 00:45:59 GMT, jbden@aol.com (J B Den) wrote:

>When I turn my K7S5A based system on the XP slpash screen appears with the
>moving bar but after a few seconds after it checks the CD ROM's it reboots and
>just keeps doing this. It does this when I try safe mode, last good config. Is
>there some way to correct this

have you tried a REPAIR install of XP?

cjt

J B Den wrote:

> When I turn my K7S5A based system on the XP slpash screen appears with the
> moving bar but after a few seconds after it checks the CD ROM's it reboots and
> just keeps doing this. It does this when I try safe mode, last good config. Is
> there some way to correct this

FWIW, I think there's a recent virus that behaves like that.

Al

On 10 Sep 2004 00:45:59 GMT, jbden@aol.com (J B Den) wrote:

>When I turn my K7S5A based system on the XP slpash screen appears with the
>moving bar but after a few seconds after it checks the CD ROM's it reboots and
>just keeps doing this. It does this when I try safe mode, last good config. Is
>there some way to correct this

Did you accidentally get an XP SP2 upgrade? They are still sorting out
this upgrade and if you got it there can be compatibility problems.
This site currently has removal instructions: http://savemybutt.com/

Sometimes interrupt conflicts cause this. If you have just added a new
card or have many PCI cards sometimes unplugging one or two will let
Windows boot and sort things out.

Something that has also worked is to temporarily turn off the USB and
serial ports in the BIOS setup. This only turns off the "front" USB
ports so you can still use the ones on the back panel. Once you get a
boot then turn them back on.

HTH!