[SOLVED] Keeping External hardrive plugged in all the time.

Theoderic321

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
Is it save to keep the WD Elements 1TB plugged in all the time?
and if I do does it shorten its lifespan ?

+ what is this short beeping noice that sometimes appears when im oppening stuff on the Harddrive ?

any help would be appreciated !

Solution
  • The don't know is: If the alternative is many on/off cycles a day, it maybe increase lifetime.
  • If the disk is in a location where it can be lifted by hand, or otherwise touched - it may decrease life time.
  • If the drive is supposed to be used only occational, then having it to always run probably decrease lifetime.

+ what is this short beeping noice that sometimes appears when im oppening stuff on the Harddrive ?
Windws sound?

And a final note: If you use the drive as file backup, it is a stupid idea to make it always run. That is because the moment you let a ransomware into your computer, then the...
  • The don't know is: If the alternative is many on/off cycles a day, it maybe increase lifetime.
  • If the disk is in a location where it can be lifted by hand, or otherwise touched - it may decrease life time.
  • If the drive is supposed to be used only occational, then having it to always run probably decrease lifetime.

Windws sound?

And a final note: If you use the drive as file backup, it is a stupid idea to make it always run. That is because the moment you let a ransomware into your computer, then the contents of that drive is lost as well.

Solution