Question Kernel 41 error with shutdown when playing games ?

youiee

Honorable
Dec 29, 2016
Specially when playing Valorant or another game with my Aorus RX580 8GB, it seems to happen randomly and it can be at the start of a gaming session, the end or anywhere in between. It also happens multiple times.

The screen will go completely black but you can still hear and talk with people on Discord and the PC is still running but after about 30 seconds in-game sounds & Discord will cease to work however, PC fans and lights still run. I have to shutdown manually and turn it on again.

In event viewer it just says Kernel-Power error Event 41. Sometimes it will completely uninstall my graphics drivers leaving only 1 monitor running at 1hz.

I have tried a DDU, uninstalling and reinstalling a lot of different drivers, different power cables and powerpoints, clean windows install, and multiple online forums discussions like this one: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-games-with-an-anti-cheat-software.3724927/

My specs are;
  • R5-5600x
  • Noctua NH-U9S cooler
  • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Mobo
  • MSI MPG A750GF 80+ GOLD 750W PSU (Bought in Oct 2021)
  • Aorus RX580 8GB
  • 2x8GB Adata XPG Spectrix D41 DDR4 2666MHz RAM
The PC also tends to run hot even with the CPU only being half utilized, typically using NZXT-cam to watch temperatures my CPU will hover 70-80s deg celcius and GPU 80-90

I have had this issue in the past here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...during-low-power-usage.3724761/#post-22459726
I never got the BSOD to show up, this is when I upgraded my PSU which solved the issue for about a year until I moved to a different state, potentially the warmer climate where I live now would make an effect?
  • From the thread I also did a memtest which showed up with nothing, I've pulled out all the components and resat the CPU with new thermal paste, still no differences

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

If the issue cropped up when you made a move to a new abode, then it's possible that perhaps your new crib has a grounding or electrical problem. You didn't mention the make and model of your case and your ambient room air temps. Something tells me you own a tempered glass front panel clad chassis that prevents any proper air to enter the chassis or the intake fans are set to low rpms. It's an assumption, would be glad to have you break that assumption for me ;)

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? OS used? You did state reinstalling your OS, if I might ask, where did you source the installer from?

My guess is your gpu is thermal throttling. The 5600X is good up to 95c so I don't think that is your problem.Try to bring down the gpu temps to the 70's by using MSI afterburner to control fan settings. You can click on fan tab in settings and set a more aggressive fan curve to try to bring down the temps. See if this helps. You can also try for troubleshooting to take off the side cover where the hardware is to give extra cooling/air circulation to see if temps are your problem.

youiee

Honorable
Dec 29, 2016
Happy New Year!

If the issue cropped up when you made a move to a new abode, then it's possible that perhaps your new crib has a grounding or electrical problem. You didn't mention the make and model of your case and your ambient room air temps. Something tells me you own a tempered glass front panel clad chassis that prevents any proper air to enter the chassis or the intake fans are set to low rpms. It's an assumption, would be glad to have you break that assumption for me ;)

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? OS used? You did state reinstalling your OS, if I might ask, where did you source the installer from?

Happy New Year :)

I've moved twice within the new state and both houses have had the same issues.

The case is a Fara R1 Pro using all stock fans it came with. I'm not sure what the ambient room air temps are but it seems to occur both with AC on and off. I'll see if I can find a way to measure my ambient room temps.
A previous thread did tell me a reason the CPU was still having high temps was due to a "low noise adapter" cable however, I have confirmed that it is still in the box and not plugged in. I have also tried going into the BIOS to adjust the PC fan temperatures but I either did it incorrectly or it made little to no difference in cooling.
INFO from System Information :
  • OS is Win10 Home ver 10.0.19044 Build 19044.
  • BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. A.B0, 25/08/2022\
  • SMBIOS Version 2.8
As for OS versions and other drivers, I got them from the official websites. Microsoft, AMD, MSI etc.

youiee

Honorable
Dec 29, 2016
My guess is your gpu is thermal throttling. The 5600X is good up to 95c so I don't think that is your problem.Try to bring down the gpu temps to the 70's by using MSI afterburner to control fan settings. You can click on fan tab in settings and set a more aggressive fan curve to try to bring down the temps. See if this helps. You can also try for troubleshooting to take off the side cover where the hardware is to give extra cooling/air circulation to see if temps are your problem.

I have tried using the AMD Adrenalin program to change the fan curve of the GPU but it still crashed all the same for me, I also didn't see a change in temperature.