Question Keyboard glitching ?

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
People, I have a weird situation going on. Anybody knows how to resolve it without restarting a PC? I'm sure it'll fix it, but I just want to know why it's happening in the first place.

My keyboard glitches from time to time, like, I can't type. Esc, `, Tab, Caps, Shift, Ctrl (including Ctrl+key such as Ctrl+S to save) work just fine, just great, Insert and all other keys work, just NOT the letters and numbers. On the numpad the same story, numbers don't work, but controls (left, right, up, down) work. As soon as I switch to some "new" text field, it works again. I'm not sure what's going on here, but like I said, I have lots of stuff going on on my PC and I can't really restart it "whenever I want to". Also, it's not a fact that it won't happen again at some moment. Why do certain keys work, but not letters/numbers? What's going on? I scanned my PC for malware, and it showed nothing. I tried to reinstall the keyboard driver, checked for updates, checked for Windows updates, but there was nothing. So I'm not sure.

The "new" text field above means that if I click on an address bar and it doesn't work, I can't type, but when I click on the search bar on a web site, for example, I get control back. That is weird, and I'm not sure what's going on. Where should I dig?

Update: After searching for other similar posts that were created recently, it sort of makes me think I'm not the only one, so it may easily be an issue related to Windows itself somehow. Just need confirmation. I have all the latest Windows updates installed.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does the keyboard have its own drivers? what make/model keyboard is it?

you not alone, I can find others like you.

See if the advice offered here helps - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...g-at-all/04346268-4222-4561-a822-6d5be29eaf9b

could it be related to chrome? https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ric-keys-stop-working-intermittently.3720845/

How often is it?

You could try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Is the keyboard wired?
If not, the battery may be low.

What happens if you unplug the keyboard and re plug it?

Can you test with another keyboard?

Keyboards are mechanical devices and will not last forever.
Perhaps it is time to replace it.

i have a corsair straffe keyboard with usb and dont have any of the software installed because the light pattern did odd things and the customising program would not let me change settings. If " your problem " happens when i am not at home my wife would be stumped as she is a wheelchair user so cant get to the wires at the rear.

This is my fix ....... i have brought the keyboards usb cable to the front of my tower.
If the lights are flashing BEFORE i turn the pc on i unplug the cable and at the desktop i wait for the message no keyboard detected and then i plug it in

If the lights start flashing whilst i use the pc i know i wont be able to type anything , click the windows icon to shut the pc down RIGHT click the power button because left click will have stopped working. Let the pc shut down and do ..... my fix ....

No idea why it happens but at least i got a workaround

This happens to me once every couple of months

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I'm using Corsair iCUE, but this issue started appearing only maybe like a week ago, or so, and I tend to think it's Windows Update that caused it after all. Because it happens pretty randomly, and I'm not sure how to fix it, I tried unplugging the keyboard, but nothing, except for switching to a new text field works. As soon as I switch from the address bar in a web browser to a search field, for example, I get control back, and all keys work properly. The keyboard functions well, I have absolutely no problems with it, it's just that sometimes this strange temp bug happens, but nothing more. Yet another reason to think it's software related. So I guess, we just have to wait and see now...

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could try resetting the keyboard, I have had to do it before to get RGB to work

it has to be a conflict, its why I suggested a clean boot. You could enable Icue as its unlikely its doing it.

You could look in windows update to see if any drivers updated in that time. reliability history also shows any programs updated by the Windows store in that time.