Keyboard Repeat Malfunction

Hi all,

This is my first post to this group and hope it's the right place.

I've been having a very annoying behavior from my keyboard since I
rebuilt my PC after adding a few Hard Drives, changing CPU and
reinstalling XP SP2 from scratch.

The problem, which I did not have before, is that now keeping a key
pressed will result in erratic behaviors, instead of the expected
autorepeat.

- If I keep a normal letter or number key pressed, it will repeat
usually OK, though it will pause (every 7 characters) and at times it
will stop and not continue on until I release and re-press the button.

- Some keys seem to respond better than others (???), and usually the
performance deteriorates when I use the shift+letter (to obtain a
capital letter) combination.

- The real trouble is the "noncharacter" keys like Backspace, the
cursor arrow keys, the Page Up/Down keys, the Delete key. None of
those will autorepeat. HOWEVER, if I use the Shift+numeric keypad key
combination (say, shift+4 to move the cursor to the left), it will
work correctly - and autorepeat.

Before being asked:

I have tried and have gotten the same results from different
combinations of two PS2 keyboards (wireless and wired), with and
without my Belkin KVM.

Tests were performed mostly on Notepad, but no surprises from Outlook,
Word or any other text editor.

HW configuration:
-Motherboard Soyo P4X400, Pentium 4 3.06, 1 Gig RAM

-Keyboard and Mouse Logitech Navigator Cordless Duo on Belkin KVM.
Logitech drivers and iTouch are installed. Tests were also performed
on the standard Microsoft drivers.

-I don't think video/sound and mass storage configuration is relevant
here.

SW Configuration:

- Win XP SP2, current Microsoft updates, chipset etc. latest available
from SOYO site.

- No troubles in Device Manager, all Accessibility Options are
disabled, Keyboard settings in Control Panel are normal and have been
anyway tested thoroughly.

- BIOS latest available, Gate A20 set to Fast and Typematic control
set to Disabled (tested those in different combinations as well).

I hope it is clear that before the few recent upgrades I made, and
reinstall, the same machine (or anyway the same basics) with this
keyboard/mouse or any other combo never had a problem.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers,
Guz

Since 2 different keyboards (and input methods) give same problem,
possibilities - either you've got a wrong country configuration or corrupt
keyboard.sys driver.
Altho - do I read/understand correctly - this only applies to Notepad -
other apps, keyboard is normal ? Try uninstalling/reinstalling Notepad,
first (you might have to delete the file Notepad.exe manually, I can't find
it listed as available to uninstall either in Add/Remove progs, or in the
Windows Components sub-icon).

Others may have different ideas!
Sincerely, Len

"Guz" <guzman@emailme.not> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first post to this group and hope it's the right place.
>
> I've been having a very annoying behavior from my keyboard since I
> rebuilt my PC after adding a few Hard Drives, changing CPU and
> reinstalling XP SP2 from scratch.
>
> The problem, which I did not have before, is that now keeping a key
> pressed will result in erratic behaviors, instead of the expected
> autorepeat.
>
> - If I keep a normal letter or number key pressed, it will repeat
> usually OK, though it will pause (every 7 characters) and at times it
> will stop and not continue on until I release and re-press the button.
>
> - Some keys seem to respond better than others (???), and usually the
> performance deteriorates when I use the shift+letter (to obtain a
> capital letter) combination.
>
> - The real trouble is the "noncharacter" keys like Backspace, the
> cursor arrow keys, the Page Up/Down keys, the Delete key. None of
> those will autorepeat. HOWEVER, if I use the Shift+numeric keypad key
> combination (say, shift+4 to move the cursor to the left), it will
> work correctly - and autorepeat.
>
> Before being asked:
>
> I have tried and have gotten the same results from different
> combinations of two PS2 keyboards (wireless and wired), with and
> without my Belkin KVM.
>
> Tests were performed mostly on Notepad, but no surprises from Outlook,
> Word or any other text editor.
>
> HW configuration:
> -Motherboard Soyo P4X400, Pentium 4 3.06, 1 Gig RAM
>
> -Keyboard and Mouse Logitech Navigator Cordless Duo on Belkin KVM.
> Logitech drivers and iTouch are installed. Tests were also performed
> on the standard Microsoft drivers.
>
> -I don't think video/sound and mass storage configuration is relevant
> here.
>
> SW Configuration:
>
> - Win XP SP2, current Microsoft updates, chipset etc. latest available
> from SOYO site.
>
> - No troubles in Device Manager, all Accessibility Options are
> disabled, Keyboard settings in Control Panel are normal and have been
> anyway tested thoroughly.
>
> - BIOS latest available, Gate A20 set to Fast and Typematic control
> set to Disabled (tested those in different combinations as well).
>
> I hope it is clear that before the few recent upgrades I made, and
> reinstall, the same machine (or anyway the same basics) with this
> keyboard/mouse or any other combo never had a problem.
>
> Hope someone can help.
>
> Cheers,
> Guz

Hi Len,

Thanks for your comments - some items may have been unclear from my
message.

I tested the drivers as well, that is:

1. Removed driver from device manager, rebooted, got Windows to put in
new driver. No change.
2. Got on the Logitech web site, got specific keyboard driver, updated
standard Microsoft driver with Logitech's. No change.

Also, I have the same problem on any application: I just specified
Notepad because it is the cleanest editor out there. But, as I
mentioned, Word, Outlook, and then Ultraedit and Editplus all have the
same problem.

So I can exclude driver or software failure here.

Additionally, I just ran some tests (and am writing this message) on a
Remote Desktop connection and I do not have the problem, as I am
typing on a different computer.

At last, I just also plugged in a USB keyboard and it turns out to be
working well. I wonder if the PS/2 KB controller is fried now...

Guz