Kinect Director: FPS Not Played on PCs Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
We can argue all day about which is superior but the numbers do not lie. There are exponentially more people playing shooters on the consoles than they are on the PC. While the comment that "hardly anyone" plays FPS on PC is patently false if he had said the "vast majority" play on consoles he would have been perfectly accurate. That's just the nature of the console beast. The consoles sell waaaaaaaay more games and, as such, have way more people playing said games.

For proof see the sale of multi-platform FPS games such as Call of Duty. Games like that sell more in the first hour than they do total on the PC.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
i just got my ps3. love it, but aiming is too hard. going from tf2 to killzone 2 made me feel stupid. idk how people do it with a controller. why isn't their 1st party keyboard and mouse support for the consoles?

Sykar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
is this the REAL reason why whenever a new game is demonstrated to the public, it's being played by a guy which sucks at the game cause he's playing the Xbox version?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]make halo for pc and watch the domination and eventual death of consoles FPS[/citation]They made Halo AND Halo 2 for PC. I just got done telling someone the other day if we could play against each other in the same game, him on a console and me on the PC... I would smoke that ass, just because of the mouse.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]i just got my ps3. love it, but aiming is too hard. going from tf2 to killzone 2 made me feel stupid. idk how people do it with a controller. why isn't their 1st party keyboard and mouse support for the consoles?[/citation]

There was for one ps3-title only. Unreal tournament III. LOL playing online with k/b + mouse + high sensitivity settings = doing circles around the controller-based players. I wish more console games had k/b + mouse support.

This is another reason why they nixed the idea of having cross pc/360 players in halo 2/3 and gears of war games. Because k/b + mouse owns controllers hands down.

"Halo did an awesome job of building a first-person shooter exclusively for the console, and now hardly anyone plays first person shooters on the PC anymore," he said.

I think what he meant to say is that he thinks the future of fps will be people playing them with motion sensing devices doing the "bang-bang" or "pew pew pew" motions with their fingers instead of using either controllers or keyboards+mice.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
For proof see the sale of multi-platform FPS games such as Call of Duty. Games like that sell more in the first hour than they do total on the PC.

That's because you can't pirate the console versions anywhere near as easily. Money is the reason publishers favor the consoles. Platform openness and extensibility is the reason developers favor the PC.

I'd guess that if you could look at total number of copies being played in either single player or multiplayer, regardless of legality of each copy, the PC would either be right on the heels of consoles, or would surpass them.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
HA! How about porting Halo 3, Halo: ODST and Halo Reach to the PC and we'll see who is boss! Not just some lame half-assed laggy Halo 2 that required Windows Vista, which in itself was a POS.

toolinthemist

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
One word and one word only: mods
PC games have mods which add to the replay value. Console games are good, but still limited compared to pc games

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
why GFWL is separate on pc and xbox? because pc users would be all on diamond and platinum leagues, and xbox users would be on silver/bronze leagues (blizardlike scale)

megahustler

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Wasn't there an experiment pitting PC gamers against console gamers in the same game? Some game company wanting to allow console and PC players to play online together? If I remember correctly, the idea was scrapped after experiments showed PC gamers to be far superior to console players, due to having keyboard+mouse instead of a game-pad.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]They made Halo AND Halo 2 for PC. I just got done telling someone the other day if we could play against each other in the same game, him on a console and me on the PC... I would smoke that ass, just because of the mouse.[/citation]

you forget that there is a aimbot in the console and pc version if you use a controler.

thats aside i cant play console fps games. i hate using a controller, and the whole time im playing it im thinking that i could play as good with my feet as i do with my hands, i tried it for a week, and i came very close to playing as good with my feet as i can with my hands.

and i watched people who suck at console fps game and who are good at it, you know what i noticed? the people who suck dont know of the games aim bot and mechanisms to make the game easier for them, and the people who know about them, weather they know what the exact terms are called or not, know of them ant take advantage of them. its not like a computer player who aims at it, its they aim near enough for the game to kick in and do the rest.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I prefer console gaming, to a large degree.

However, I still think some genres, esp. RTS/FPS are far better suited to the PC. Far better.

I'd love to see an FPS on Kinect as well, that would be a total joke.

G

After Halo was ported to the PC, Microsoft was considering putting everyone together on the same servers for multiplay. However, it was scrapped because the keyboard/mouse combo was far superior than the controller. Those on the XBox were slaughtered. So, they scrapped the idea. Anybody that thinks they can play better on a controller is smoking some serious stuff. Game on PCs FTW!!!

jfitz90

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
[citation][nom]megahustler[/nom]Wasn't there an experiment pitting PC gamers against console gamers in the same game? Some game company wanting to allow console and PC players to play online together? If I remember correctly, the idea was scrapped after experiments showed PC gamers to be far superior to console players, due to having keyboard+mouse instead of a game-pad.[/citation]

Shadowrun if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.