Question Kingston USB drive with pre-installed malicious software, firmware or hardware?

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Hello everyone

I have bought several brand new in-package Kingston USB drives

I have turned off Network adapters in Device Manager
The computer is not connected to a network

Has there been any instances, stories etc., where a Kingston USB drive turned on /activated and used the network adaptor with malicious intent, without the user knowing / showing the computer has internet?

Has there been any instances, stories etc., where a Kingston USB drive contained a hidden network adaptor, which it used to connect to cellular (outside of the wifi), without granting the computer internet? And then using this hidden internet connection with malicious intent?

If a USB drive contains malicious software, firmware etc., could it then be hidden, so a virus scan would not detect it?

Could malicious software, firmware etc. survive a format of the USB drive?

How can I make sure, that a USB drive does not contain malicious software, firmware, hardware etc.?

Thank you for replying

Best regards

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
if they're brand new and still sealed in package, then they're safe.
have been using kingston usb drives for years, and not a single one has contained a virus or malicious software.

like for example, I rip open the package, plug it in to the pc and copy the files I want to backup.. - and done. No boogeyman has appeared to wreck my pc. No need to be paranoid.

I use them for storing a wide variety of backups, and probably have more than a dozen of these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oblivion77

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
If you look on ebay, you'll see dozens of cheap flash drives with huge capacity.
$15 - 2TB.

They are actually 8-32GB, and the firmware has been overwritten to report as 2-8TB.
Yes, huge scams. I would never buy from those sources. I have bought all my USB drives som big online shops.

But regarding my question, yes, every vendor can do it then.