Question KVM switch doesn't display an image.

Feb 23, 2024
Hello all,

I’ve already posted this on reddit but thought I'd post it here since tom's is way more reliable I find. I hope displays is also the right place for this question :p

I'm trying to connect a Fujitsu FD-1008AT to my server but l am having some issues. Mainly whenever I power on the KVM it doesn't actually display an image. It only says "No Sync Signal See User's Manual".
I've tried changing which port the server is plugged into and the classic turning it on and off again to no avail.

Weirdly enough the User's Manual doesn't actually contain anything of use for a "No Sync Signal" error. It does have a section that talks about something similar to the issue, but it isn't accurate to what I am experiencing.

I’ve also confirmed that the KVM’s monitor works perfectly and that all the cables in the equation are working as expected.

I know this is an extremely specific question, but I can’t find any other help online. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Feb 23, 2024
Feb 23, 2024
Any adapters?

Check and compare the USB and PS/2 cable pinouts.

No sync perhaps being a missing "clock".

Maybe a proprietary cable....
I've ordered both a VGA+PS/2 cable and a PS/2 to USB adapter to do more testing, which should get here tomorrow.
I might also try fiddle around with display and BIOS settings on the server to see if maybe there's an issue there.
I'll reply with an update with the results.

Thank you for all the help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Only the 1 system
Understood. I was just reading through the manual and kept coming across the term "special cable".

Combine that with what you said earlier "The only difference is I am using a VGA+USB cable rather than a VGA+PS/2 cable that would've been around", and it would seem to identify the problem. Are you using these so-called special cables or just standard VGA cables.

Feb 23, 2024
Understood. I was just reading through the manual and kept coming across the term "special cable".

Combine that with what you said earlier "The only difference is I am using a VGA+USB cable rather than a VGA+PS/2 cable that would've been around", and it would seem to identify the problem. Are you using these so-called special cables or just standard VGA cables.
That struck me as odd too, and might be something only Fujitsu knows the definitive answer to. I might email them about this if I'm unable to solve the issue.

I'm using a generic VGA+USB to VGA cable I got off Amazon, which is what I assumed the special cable would be. In hindsight, it might've be better to get a VGA+PS/2 to VGA cable, as that would've been more common in 2003 when this KVM was released. My motherboard doesn't have PS/2 ports so I had hoped the USB one would work.

As I said in a reply to another user, I've ordered a VGA+PS/2 to VGA cable and a PS/2 to USB adapter to do more testing.
I've managed to dig up a PC with both a VGA port and PS/2 ports from my hoard which I'll use for testing tomorrow.