Question Lag spikes in all games.

Jul 21, 2019
Hello, I have been experiencing lag spikes in all of my games since I can remember. I have slowly started to upgrade my PC and cleaned all the files formatted it and changed the most important parts. For example I would be playing fortnite and will have anywhere between 100-250 fps and then suddenly it drops down to like 30 out of nowhere for some time, mostly when I build or when there are smokes thrown in CS:GO etc.. However I am unsure what the problem may be I have been looking into it and somewhere it says that a bad motherboard can cause fps drops which can be the only logical option for me now since I have literally changed the parts recently and don't want to waste my money any more.
Specs:
Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb
AMD fx 8350 eight core 4.0ghz
500GB crucial SSD
Unsure about the motherboard
Unsure about the power supply however changed as well.
8GB ram
I am open to any suggestions however I have changed my graphics card from GTX 750 ti and a old fx processor. Also added an SSD to see if the problem was the hard drive however the problem is still there. All the drivers are up to date and everything should be working smoothly.

Jul 21, 2019
stick with 1 thread
Hello, I have been experiencing lag spikes in all of my games since I can remember. I have slowly started to upgrade my PC and cleaned all the files formatted it and changed the most important parts. For example I would be playing fortnite and will have anywhere between 100-250 fps and then suddenly it drops down to like 30 out of nowhere for some time, mostly when I build or when there are smokes thrown in CS:GO etc.. However I am unsure what the problem may be I have been looking into it and somewhere it says that a bad motherboard can cause fps drops which can be the only logical option for me now since I have literally changed the parts recently and don't want to waste my money any more.
Specs:
Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb
AMD fx 8350 eight core 4.0ghz
500GB crucial SSD
Unsure about the motherboard
Unsure about the power supply however changed as well.
8GB ram
I am open to any suggestions however I have changed my graphics card from GTX 750 ti and a old fx processor. Also added an SSD to see if the problem was the hard drive however the problem is still there. All the drivers are up to date and everything should be working smoothly.

While you game have task manager open (minimized) then when you experience a frame drop check to see your computers usage. See what your CPU, GPU and RAM usage is are. Also you should check the temperatures of your CPU are during gaming. If I remember correctly the 8350 limit is like 60 Celsius.

Jul 21, 2019
While you game have task manager open (minimized) then when you experience a frame drop check to see your computers usage. See what your CPU, GPU and RAM usage is are. Also you should check the temperatures of your CPU are during gaming. If I remember correctly the 8350 limit is like 60 Celsius.
I've tried that and everything seems normal. The temperature is not too high 45 Celsius max and the usage seems normal as well

Jul 21, 2019
One thing that I have noticed is that when I get the FPS drops my utilization of CPU drops from anywhere from 60-90 to 20-30 and when the lag stops if goes back up. Is that due to bottlenecking or? Looks like this : http://prntscr.com/oi66p4 Edit: checked the temperature when drops happen and it goes down? from around 50 to 30 for some reason...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019
Hmmm. It could be bottle-necking, the FX series of CPUs were mediocre at best for gaming even when they were first launched.

I would also suggesting making sure that Windows/Nvidia control panel has your system set to performance and not energy saving or balanced.
It is not bottlenecking since my cpu would be at 100% utilization then and even when it doesnt lag it never gets to a 100%, also I've done all the things that would increase my performance even set my background to a still colour. I really dont know what could be causing this.

Jul 21, 2019
I also wanted to add that I have connected my old processor AMD Fx 4300 quad core which I have received more consistent FPS on, this processor is definatelly bottlenecking however I have not seen the same problem as with the 8350. The utilization is at 100% all the time which is not the same as the 8350. What can I do? I guess it is a problem with the processor.

Jul 21, 2019
What motherboard do you have? I found this https://community.amd.com/thread/222222 which made me remember that not all motherboards for the FX could actually support the higher core chips due to VRM power phases and heat.
I am unsure about the motherboard however it is quite an old one and I am happy to replace it if its gonna help me but I dont want to waste any more money. The temps are all fine however I read about voltage problems? Gonna look into the bios. Also it seems that some people had the problem with power saving mode as the cpu would not be using its full potential.

Some of the lower end boards simply couldn't supply the power the 8 core chips needed. And honestly I wouldnt waste any money on that old of a chip unless you can find a better mobo for cheap (like 20 or 30 bucks max). Instead I would seriously consider upgrading to one of the Ryzen 2*** series (very cheap right now, even the 2200G would out perform or at least tie your 8350 in gaming) or the new 3000 series chip.

You can also find the 1st Gen Ryzens really cheap as well both new and used. The Ryzen 1600 is only about 100 USD right now with a sale on Newegg.

For either you would need a new Mobo, RAM and CPU. but your gaming experience will be much better.

Jul 21, 2019
I will look a little bit more into the problem with the cpu saving power but if that will not work I'll try to get a new mobo and the ryzen. Thank you for your help.

That IDK. It comes down to power delivery, what you want to look for is either a really strong 4+2 or a good 6+2 or 8+2 power phases.

You'll have to wait for someone else to give specifics or go look around, I'm sure there are lots of posts about which boards are best. You'll be limited to what is available used and looking on ebay at a couple boards it seems like people are really over valuing their old hardware. (which is commmon for some reason.