Question Lap top under warranty's Gpu shuts off, service shop convinced its a software issue just returned it

Veshter

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
Im pretty sure the GTX 1050 in that lap top is acting up and they could be sure about that if they just swap it. When i met up with the person there he said that a 1050 is too old for warzone, but first he didn't know what warzone was and i checked, that's false.

He told me he'd run some benchmark software fur something so i go to a cafe, i run it, it works fine, i restart the lap top, i run it and it only recognizes the vega integrated gpu, i start the benchmark and it crashes after a minute and restarts the lap top. Same thing on warzone and then it doesn't recognize the 1050 for a couple of days. Is there something i can do about this warranty? Lap top is from Asus iirc, it's my father's so I forgot. I tried ddu 3 times, i tried all the power settings as well. They can't just say "not our problem if you wanna play games" and return the damned lap top without even trying. This is absurd.

Edit: forgot to mention i live in Macedonia, afaik we dont have an asus shop here but the store we bought the lap top from told us to take it to this service shop that apparently fixes asus lap tops bought from there. I'm waiting to get the lap top back and i was thinking to contact asus support with this as well. Could use some ideas here.

Apparently the service shop wrote a note that they checked the hdds for errors and they didn't find anything and if we bring it back in for another game related issue it will cost lmao, completely ignoring i tested on the benchmark software they told me to test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veshter

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
what model is the laptop,

And those people are literally trolling at this point "not our problem if you game" under warranty that sounds laughable. It might be many things from wrong drivers to dying gpu chip on the board
FX705DDAU016 according to the list they gave me. It has a gtx1050 and i downloaded the correct drivers and reinstalled them a total of 3 times with ddu. The only thing i havent done is reinstall windows. I chose geforce 10 series (notebooks)btw.

Feels to me like the gpu is failing. To recap 1st 2 weeks were fine, one day my brother is playing warzone fine, then the next day he launches the game after turning on the lap top and the game looks really bad and the fps is crazy bad. I figure out its using the integrated gpu. After a month of trying to figure out through nvidia control panel and literally everywhere that has anything to do with gpu settings i come to the conclusion that every once in a while the PC starts and the gpu works, then i restart it and it doesnt work anymore for a while. The gpu is only recognized in device manager when it isnt working. Not in game, not in novabench, not anywhere else.

What i could really use right now is an argument to force those trolls into fixing this. They said they ran the hdd and ssd for issues but i literally told them to check the gpu and they didn't. I don't think i can get anywhere by contacting anyone that's supposed to deal with these issues considering the country i live in is "ehh" to put it mildly, so i don't really have any ideas anymore.

Gpu chip working only "sometimes" when you boot up is not generally a good sign, i used to have this issue back in the day with dying gpu chips on the motherboard and if there was no igpu i got black screen on 2/3 of the boots.

Now reading your post again you say it "crashes" your laptop, do you get shuttdown or blue screen with error message?

Veshter

Honorable
Sep 16, 2015
Gpu chip working only "sometimes" when you boot up is not generally a good sign, i used to have this issue back in the day with dying gpu chips on the motherboard and if there was no igpu i got black screen on 2/3 of the boots.

Now reading your post again you say it "crashes" your laptop, do you get shuttdown or blue screen with error message?
Now talking with my brother again most of the time the game froze and he had to kill the process but about 3 times there was a blue screen saying "your pc ran into a problem". Same thing happened when i used some benchmark app with "fur" in the name, sorry i can't remember what it's called, first it ran well on the 1050 then i restarted it and it didnt read the 1050. I ran the benchmark on the integrated gpu and it froze for a second and then blue screen happened. Thats why I am assuming bad gpu