Question Laptop CPU temp high on idle

Sep 22, 2022
I'm sorry for my English as it is not my first language.
A litte bit of story, I accidently left my laptop on my bag with the engine on like about 8-10 minutes. I took it out and ofc it get very hot, so I turned it off.
Next day I used it and it easily getting hot and when I checked the temp the CPU can go very high to 95C even on idle (It does fluctuate). Then I open the laptop tried to clean the dust in the fan and heatsink and even changed the thermal paste but unfortunately the problem is still there. It just getting hot very easily. I just open discord and it feels like I'm playing a heavy game.
Is there is something wrong with my hardware?

My laptop is MSI GF63 10SCS
Windows 10
CPU: 10th gen I5
GPU:GTX 1650Ti Max Q

The fan is working properly as they can get very noisy even on idle. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022
I did not as I think the problem is the hardware, plus I have no courage to change anything on the bios.
My laptop still run and boot fine and fast. But doing something simple already makes it hot easily. Try to game with it and some games just crash.

Sep 22, 2022
Thermal paste I used called Z3 Deep Cool.

Actually I already changed the thermal paste for like 4 times already this week. Trying to gauge the right way and amount. And recently is today about 5 hours ago.
The pea size/put it middle still make it hot (Maybe because I put too little). From all the way I used, the most impactful is when I tried to cover all the surface (that I used today). It is now better on idle, at least better than yesterday but I still got bluescreen (Kernel_Mode_Heap_Corruption) when gaming (Rainbow Six).
Is the bluescreen still connected to the overheating or different matter already?

Btw, thank you for the answer. As I'm a bit panic and desperate for help.

Thermal paste I used called Z3 Deep Cool.

Actually I already changed the thermal paste for like 4 times already this week. Trying to gauge the right way and amount. And recently is today about 5 hours ago.
The pea size/put it middle still make it hot (Maybe because I put too little). From all the way I used, the most impactful is when I tried to cover all the surface (that I used today). It is now better on idle, at least better than yesterday but I still got bluescreen (Kernel_Mode_Heap_Corruption) when gaming (Rainbow Six).
Is the bluescreen still connected to the overheating or different matter already?

Btw, thank you for the answer. As I'm a bit panic and desperate for help.
Hey there,

That's not a particularly good paste to use. It's rated for 3.5 W/m.k, which is on the lower side. A good paste to use is Noctua Nt-H2. It work well with heatsink to chip contact. You will see better results.

In terms of the spread and how to apply it. Often (for a laptop size GPU) the pea-sized method works well. As does a 'line' down the centre of the IHS. Another method is multiple dots (for a smaller die) maybe 5. You can also use the card method to 'spread' the paste thinly across the chip. See what works best.

But start with a good paste. Then work from there.

Edit: When you put the pipes/heatsink back, make sure to put the screws back in, in a criss cross fashion. So from one diagonal to the other. This will tighten the heatsink down to ensure an even spread of the paste as it's put back,

Also, when you remove the heatsink to do the paste on the GPU, we are assuming you're doing the same on the CPU too (unless they are separate heatsinks.)?

Reactions: Haixia28
Sep 22, 2022
Hey there,

That's not a particularly good paste to use. It's rated for 3.5 W/m.k, which is on the lower side. A good paste to use is Noctua Nt-H2. It work well with heatsink to chip contact. You will see better results.

In terms of the spread and how to apply it. Often (for a laptop size GPU) the pea-sized method works well. As does a 'line' down the centre of the IHS. Another method is multiple dots (for a smaller die) maybe 5. You can also use the card method to 'spread' the paste thinly across the chip. See what works best.

But start with a good paste. Then work from there.

Edit: When you put the pipes/heatsink back, make sure to put the screws back in, in a criss cross fashion. So from one diagonal to the other. This will tighten the heatsink down to ensure an even spread of the paste as it's put back,
Hello, thank you for you answer and pointer.

I see, For the method for my laptop CPU, so far I found 'spreading' the paste thinly across the chip works better than the others. But I'll work from getting a better paste first.

Edit: I put the screws back in a criss cross fashion like you mention because there is number (which I assume the right order to put the screw). So I think I already tighten the heatsink well.

I did apply new paste to both my CPU and GPU everytime I opened the fan/heatsink. As I am not really sure what causing the overheat on my CPU, I don't want to risk my GPU overheating too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hello, thank you for you answer and pointer.

I see, For the method for my laptop CPU, so far I found 'spreading' the paste thinly across the chip works better than the others. But I'll work from getting a better paste first.

Yes, good call. Also, Intel CPU's are rated to work up to 100c, so if you're not throttling, these temps are actually within the limits. With that said though, no-wants their fans spinning at 100% all of the time. Highly annoying.

Get a good paste, and try the different methods. I'm sure the paste will make a difference.

Does your CPU drop speeds when it it's the high temps?

Reactions: Haixia28
Sep 22, 2022
Yes, good call. Also, Intel CPU's are rated to work up to 100c, so if you're not throttling, these temps are actually within the limits. With that said though, no-wants their fans spinning at 100% all of the time. Highly annoying.

Get a good paste, and try the different methods. I'm sure the paste will make a difference.

Does your CPU drop speeds when it it's the high temps?
It does not drop any speed at all, but prevents me to do something heavy like gaming (It crashes) or like what you said makes my fan spinning like crazy for a simple task like opening software/browser (which makes me very anxious). That was before today.

Today when I tried changing the paste with spread method, it does become better at least on idle but I believe that it's still hotter than usual.

Edit: I also sometimes got bluescreen (Kernel_Mode_Heap_Corruption) when trying to game which makes me afraid that it is connected to the overheating. Or is it different matter already?

Last edited:
You might try Throttlestop, and use the 'Limit' tab to dee if your CPU is throttling, and/or why it's shutting down. It sounds like your CPU is hitting 'BD PROCHOT' Limits and is crashing to avoid overheating. PROCHOT stands for processor hot. It could be your particular laptop has a lower than standard (100c) prochot. Some manfacturers set it way low, like at 95c or 97c, and as soon as your CPU hits this speed it will throttle back or restart to protect the CPU.

Sep 22, 2022
You might try Throttlestop, and use the 'Limit' tab to dee if your CPU is throttling, and/or why it's shutting down. It sounds like your CPU is hitting 'BD PROCHOT' Limits and is crashing to avoid overheating. PROCHOT stands for processor hot. It could be your particular laptop has a lower than standard (100c) prochot. Some manfacturers set it way low, like at 95c or 97c, and as soon as your CPU hits this speed it will throttle back or restart to protect the CPU.
Is it safe? I heard that it can be dangerous if you dont really understand it.

If it is indeed my CPU hit 'BD PROCHOT', getting a better thermal paste still takes priority right? Sorry if I sound stupid because I'm really clueless about this. Thank you

Is it safe? I heard that it can be dangerous if you dont really understand it.

If it is indeed my CPU hit 'BD PROCHOT', getting a better thermal paste still takes priority right? Sorry if I sound stupid because I'm really clueless about this. Thank you

Yes, using TS is perfectly safe. In this case you are just using it to analyzye your CPU. There are many settings that one could change in TS, but that's not our goal right now. We just want to identify what the issue is.

Yes, it's very possible the new paste will stop that. I'm currently using Noctua NT-H2. This is good for laptops. I was using Noctua NT-H1, and although this did work well for me, there is a phenomenon know as 'pump out effect' which some pastes suffer with. The NT-H1 is one of those. So getting NT-H2 is a good call. This is recommended by @uWebb429 who is an expert on Intel CPU's. He designed TS.

Sep 22, 2022
Yes, using TS is perfectly safe. In this case you are just using it to analyzye your CPU. There are many settings that one could change in TS, but that's not our goal right now. We just want to identify what the issue is.

Yes, it's very possible the new paste will stop that. I'm currently using Noctua NT-H2. This is good for laptops. I was using Noctua NT-H1, and although this did work well for me, there is a phenomenon know as 'pump out effect' which some pastes suffer with. The NT-H1 is one of those. So getting NT-H2 is a good call. This is recommended by @uWebb429 who is an expert on Intel CPU's. He designed TS.
I see, maybe I'll try it later. I'm still quite scared tho haha. My mind is still full of overthinking.

And I probably need about 2-3 days to get the noctua paste as I could'nt find any stock in my local store. I need to get it from online store.

I hope you can help me when I update my laptop condition if you don't mind, thank you very much.

Edit: I want to know if this number on CPU and motherboard normal when on idle/simple task like browsing. Seeing the max number always makes me anxious. Even the value fluctuates in 55-80 makes me very worried. This is one reason I'm afraid that I burned my CPU by accident.

Edit2: When I said it getting better when I apply paste in spread method, it seems like it just last for 1 day as it back like this on max temp. Even I can see this is not normal when I'm only doing something simple like browsing.

Edit3: Or is it possible that there is malware in my system? I already tried to full scan my laptop and did not find any threat tho.
View: https://imgur.com/a/o7Otwcf

View: https://imgur.com/a/4FfNylo

View: https://imgur.com/a/fcqX9WI

Last edited: